PDA

View Full Version : new water hot temps

larry b
07-30-2006, 12:30 PM
just a quick question: here is another reason to switch from baq, milwaukee wi temps are going to be in the 90s for a week, pool temp was 90 last night, for the next 3 days its going to be high 90s so they say, i can add 2-3 inches of water now should cool things off but then im going to have to treat the pool 30-65 $$$$$, should i leave the solar cover off at night, for these hot days what about the water evaporting at night?? what do you guys do that live in hoy areas, not complaining about the temp as this what pool owners live for 90 degee days, but at 8-9pm the 90degree water feels to warm??? let me know what some of you guys do thanks for your help ...

dawndenise
07-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Hi Larry,

As a former Wauwatosa and Milwaukee resident, I know how hot the 90s can feel!!!

Now I live in a place where we've been in the 100's for a few weeks with no change in sight. My pool water is routinely in the mid- to upper-80's and has, upon occasion, broken 90 degrees.

I run my pump overnight and also my waterfall. Running any water feature overnight, like a fountain, will do the same, effectively dropping the temperature of the water. With overnight lows here in the upper 70's, I can lower my pool water temps at least 4 degrees by this method.

I have no experience with solar covers, but I know I wouldn't cover my pool if I were in your situation...I'd WANT the water exposed to the cooler nighttime temps, at least during a heat wave. Sure some evaporation takes place, but probably more evaporation happens during the day in the sunlight and higher temperatures.

Enjoy your pool while you can.

aylad
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
I live in Louisiana, and my pool temp stays in the mid 90s--I run my pump and fountain at night instead of during the day, and it helps. So does keeping the slide on while we're in the pool--it's amazing how much the tap water from the slide cools the pool!

Janet

Sherra
07-31-2006, 02:25 PM
I've had to leave my solar cover off for a couple of weeks now. I don't like that I'm loosing more chlorine that way, but it's keeping my pool temp around 90...which is fine for me. It was getting up to 100+ with the solar cover on! I probably won't put the cover back on again until the temps dip back down into the 60s at night somewhat consistently.