PDA

View Full Version : piping issues

mohawk
07-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi all, We've had our pool 20,000gal round ag pool for about 3 weeks. In that time I've had the setup crew back twice. The first time they needed to switch the hoses around-the return was coming out the skimmer and the eye was taking in water. Next, one of the return joints was leaking water-the pipe was cracked, and I didn't know how to fix it. Now there's a leak at one of the joints that has a twist on piece. We tried to tighten it-didn't work-and then took it apart and put it back but it still leaks. We called the installer-his work is guaranteed-and he'll come back if it doesn't stop dripping but he told us that all above ground pool piping leak and we should expect this. I couldn't believe it. What do you say. Denise

sevver
07-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Well, I can tell you that my piping does not leak, and I would not be able to take it if it did. That is called sloppy plumbing, can you post a pic of the culprit and someone can tell you what to do to fix it. It may just need more thread sealant, I am positive you can fix it yourself if you PB is not cooperating with the help here on this board.

CarlD
07-30-2006, 10:58 AM
It may need more thread sealant, it may need more teflon tape, it may need teflon lube on the o-rings, it may need a second hose clamp, it may need to be replaced with proper glue-on Schedule 40 fittings.

The great thing about modern residential pools is that all the plumbing is done with PVC hard pipe, PVC flexible pipe, and flexible hosing--very little metal piping of any sort. This makes home-owner repairs super-simple.

A picture of the problem area would help.

It's not TERRIBLE to have drips on A/G pools, and it is quite common. That doesn't make it right. There should be none, but it's not as serious as on an inground.

willyd
08-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi CarlD,

You mentioned flexible pipe and flexible hosing for pool plumbing, can you advice what types are better, for example, can I use pool vacuum hose, is PVC better then vinyl, braided, etc.. Since I will be moving my pump and filter, I would like to replumb with flexible tubing/pipe/hose. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you,

WD.

CarlD
08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I like TigerFlex flexible PVC. You use this EXACTLY the same way as hard PVC--glue on Schedule 40 fittings. Be sure to use the blue glue.

What I really like about TigerFlex is you can mix and match it to suit your needs with hard PVC.

Here's an example: How I re-plumbed my return. The black corrugated hose goes to my solar panels. I've since re-done this, but everything to the left of the corrugated is the same. You can see how the T/F ties to the hard PVC at the return. All of this pops off in seconds at the end of the season and the T/F can be easily manuevered out of the pool's structure--it's flexible.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dashmanc/pool/return.jpg

Now here's the way I used both around the pump. The vertical from the pump is T/F, and the horizontal is hard PFC. The T/F gives me some flexibility, but the hard keeps it up and looking cleaner. Additionally, the hard PVC comes out of the filter for the return, then changes over to T/F.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dashmanc/pool/Filter05.jpg