PDA

View Full Version : Which chlorine test kit for numbers over 5

smallpooldad
04-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Which chlorine test Kit for numbers over 5 should I get and where can I get it? An example would be if one wants to know if one has 6ppm versus 7ppm, or 4ppm versus 5ppm.

Are chlorine meters any good for this?

Aloha,

Paul

Watermom
04-13-2006, 08:02 PM
The best kit you can buy is sold by Ben (the administrator of this site) at the following link. It is the kit that most of us use simply because it is the best thing you can buy. A little expensive, but well worth the money.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/ps234.php

Watermom

aylad
04-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Of course, I'm a bit biased, but I think Ben's kit is the one everyone needs! :)
Seriously, the dpd/fas kit depends on number of drops required to create a color change, and will accurately measure chlorine levels up to 50 ppm.

Janet

aylad
04-13-2006, 08:04 PM
The best kit you can buy is sold by Ben (the administrator of this site) at the following link. It is the kit that most of us use simply because it is the best thing you can buy. A little expensive, but well worth the money.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/cart/ps234.php

Watermom
Guess great minds think alike, eh?? LOL

waterbear
04-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Ben's kit is the BEST value for the money but there are other FAS-DPD test kits available from companies like Taylor and LaMotte. I did a comparison of Ben's kit with the salt option to the 3 Taylor kit's you would need to get the same tests and reagents and Ben's kit was by far the winner in initial price and number of tests you can do before needing a refill!

smallpooldad
04-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for the replies and how does it work.

For example how would one arrive at a reading of 4ppm or 6ppm using Ben's test.

Aloha,

Paul

Honolulu: 78F, trade wind at 16 mph to 25 mph, mostly clear skies. Oh my goodness I see a cloud approaching I better leave and get into my tanning machine.

waterbear
04-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you all for the replies and how does it work.

For example how would one arrive at a reading of 4ppm or 6ppm using Ben's test.

Aloha,

Paul

Honolulu: 78F, trade wind at 16 mph to 25 mph, mostly clear skies. Oh my goodness I see a cloud approaching I better leave and get into my tanning machine.
The FAS-DPD chlorine test is a titration test similar to the titration tests for Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness. By counting the drops necessary for the color change to occur you then can calculate the ppm of FC and also TC and then therefore get your CC by the formula TC-FC=CC./