PDA

View Full Version : Dog got into bag of bulk CYA

Sentient
07-29-2006, 07:47 PM
I picked up a 5 lb bag of CYA at my local pool store to raise the level in my pool and stupidly set it where the dogs could reach it. They tore open the bag, scattered the crystals all over the grass, and had some trapped between their gums and cheeks. I hosed out their mouths to remove as much as possible, vacuumed up as much of the dry crystalls as I could and seriously overwatered the grass to get the rest disssolved and out of harms way.

The dogs seem fine for the moment. A call to poison control suggested to just watch them and take them to the vet if they exhibited difficulty breathing, swalling, or started throwing up. So far no symptoms, it has been about an hour now.

I found an online MSDS and if they didn't get too much ingested it looks like it may not be too bad, but I do't know about MSDSs, I think they may tend to understate the dangers.

Is there any further advice out there from anyone with experience on this?

Thanks,

Mark

yjjeeper
07-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I personally would not take a chance and would contact my vet or local emergency vet.

Sentient
07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I took your advice and called the animal hospital. They also said bring the dogs in if any symptoms developed.

We watched the dogs closely and they had no symptoms at all. The dogs are healthy, happy, eating and playing this morning.

Thanks for the advice.

yjjeeper
07-30-2006, 02:34 PM
That is good news. The silly puppers will get into anything I swear.

Sentient
07-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Yes they will. They have been fine all day, I am very happy. Thanks again.

Sentient

Poolsean
07-30-2006, 09:14 PM
At least you can leave them out in the sun a little bit longer. It will have little affect on them until the Cya wears out.

Sentient
07-31-2006, 10:51 AM
At least you can leave them out in the sun a little bit longer. It will have little affect on them until the Cya wears out.
Heheh:rolleyes:

Well, they do like to sunbathe.

Sentient