PDA

View Full Version : i'm a patriotic canadian but..THIEVES!

tenax
07-27-2006, 03:45 PM
now that things have worked out, i can smile and rant at the same time..just wanted to comment on the "joke" that we call canadian pool stores...lousy websites, high high prices. while as a radio station manager, i prefer to support local businesses and am willing to pay say 10-20% more for items, there can be price differences that can't be ignored..case in point without naming names:

zeobrite- same price about as u.s. , but 100 dollars for shipping! (versus 6.99 from the online store in u.s. that is fast becoming a favorite of mine..i'm 3 orders deep with them and order 4 is on the way..they don't disappoint)

pool vac- 500 bucks- same one 145 (ok it was ebay..but still)

pool pump- 600 bucks- again, ebay for 145 (almost my best find this summer) but even so, 300 to 350 for the same pump from u.s. online supplier.

pool cover, reel and casters- 700- got for 400 from my favorite us online store.

pool heater- 2400 plus 200 freight for a jandy 2 lite from both local pool stores. 1100 including shipping from an online us store.

chlorinator system- 1200- 700 from u.s. online store.

i know that in my area of the country, there isn't a huge call for pools but there is for spas and that's where they make tons of money. they don't advertise anywhere cause they are the only game in town..another pet peeve of mine...so i was quite happy to tell them where to go when they quoted me the book price on the pool heater.

small profit is still better than no profit. i've spent almost 3000 u.s. in the past 2 months to change out almost everything in my system and they didn't get a sniff of it locally except for the replacement piping and connectors i needed. would have cost me 5600 to buy locally!

i don't know the profit margin on the above, but it has to be minimum 20% for the local guys. so..600 cash in pocket..to bad, so sad.

sevver
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
That is the way, hit them in the pocketbook. If only everyone else would do it too. I try to never buy retail, always used, free or ebay. Craigslist is nice too. At the very least shop around for the best deal.

tenax
07-27-2006, 04:06 PM
it's what i love about the net..i buy most things i buy xmas gifts, home products almost exclusively online now..we are much more educated buyers thanks to the web...it was time well spent and sure feels good when you know with a few hours work you've saved a bunch of coin.

matt4x4
07-28-2006, 03:06 PM
The web has changed the way we do business, many people still fear the web, guess it's the old "afraid of the unknown" syndrome.
Some people juts gotta have it in their hands right away, where if I can save a good chunk, I'll get it off the web any day!
another tupe of store I like are stores like "excess cargo", who sell factory seconds merchandise. Many don't know this, but factory seconds in most cases does not mean anything anymore. In most cases it's where a big box store received a shipment that got damaged in transit, they flat out refuse the entire shipment, the manufacturer then ships it to a breakdown center where the skid gets ripped down, the damaged goods thrown away and the remaining 90% of undamaged goods go on an auction block to the highest bidder such as excess cargo - sometimes they go straight to the auction and they'll bid on a guestimate of good items left in that set. Usually it's bought for cents on the dollar. Sure, that item may have a couple more shipping miles on it, but well worth it to you and I the consumer.
The reason they can't resell to another big retailer is because teh goods were allready considered sold once, so a discounter gets them.
I purchased a 400 digital camera for 90 bucks that way - never once gave me a problem, same with my camcorder and a few other things.
That's probably how half of ebay works too.

joliecharlie
07-28-2006, 08:52 PM
at least prescription drugs are cheaper in Canada!!! (Guess that is still the case!)

jenpen400
07-28-2006, 11:40 PM
I have no choice but to get the most for the money. We have a family of 4 I'm a stay at home mom and hubby is an aircraft mechanic and makes half what he did pre 9/11. I shop gas this way too. I search for the best price online in my area then tell all my friends. At least this forces them to be fair. Now every one has to make a living and I really tried to buy my pool equiptment locally. I knew what I wanted I knew they had it. I asked for it and they tried to sell me something else. So I left and saved money on the net.

Keep them honest

jennifer

PS I do like spend my out to eat money at the local mom & pop Mexican restraunts in San Antonio!

Poconos
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Here in Pudunkville, PA 18431 we got a MalWart Supercenter right down the road about 5 years ago then last year a Home Depot....YEAAAAA !! I no longer have to drive 30 miles each way to hit one. I still support the mom & pop stores whenever possible which is 90% of the time. Food, appliances, etc. On a $1K purchase I think an extra $50-$100 to support local is good and I do it. The MalWart didn't seem to affect local businesses that much and the Home Depot has had a minimal effect I think. Here in Podunkville we have about 6 auto stores and 1 hardware store before HD. Downtown still thrives. At least now I don't need to keep a large stock of PVC stuff in my basement.
Al

PoolDoc
07-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I would encourage you all to be careful with your words.

After years of not thinking well of salesmen, I find myself up to the eyeballs in retail sales, via the testkits, myself. It's unfortunately quite true that many sales people lie. They often even deceive themselves with their own lies, using phrases like "just business" and the like. After a very difficult summer and many problems with the kits, I see how salesmen are tempted to deceive your customers as I never have before.

But, even if they are often liars, not so many sales people and retailers are actually thieves.

That they charge more than you would like to pay is not truly theft, unless you are somehow compelled to purchase from those selling. It's not even "gouging", unless they are selling what necessities, or near-necessities, under conditions where they are your only practical source of supply.

Selling good products for low prices and still remaining profitable as a business is difficult, and requires that the business, and its owners and managers acquire and apply many different skills. Walmart has done unbelieveably well at this, but what they've done is very, very hard.

Many of the swimming pool discount retailers are actually side operations of other, successful, pool businesses. And, in more than a few cases, they are quite literally sucking the financial life out of that parent business. Many sites have ceased operation over the past few years, after the injury became more than the parent company could bear. In some cases, bankruptcies have resulted, with the internet offspring killing the parent. In more than a few cases, your savings on Internet-purchased pool items come almost directly from the bank account of the parent company.

It's worthy of notice that the long time catalog retailers, like Leslies, have successful Internet sales divisions that are NOT based on heavy discounting.

With respect to sales in Canada of US made products, I can tell you myself that it's not that easy. I've tried several times, and had to give up each time. Customs charges and regulations are complicated and hard to figure out, as is cross-border shipping. With respect to overall paperwork and regulation, Canada seems to be worse than either California or New York, which are certainly among the most highly regulated US states. Even where the required paperwork is not worse than what is required in the US, it's still different. This means starting from scratch with things like MSDS sheets.

There are numerous Canadian distributors or importers with 'exclusive' rights to a particular product line, and they are very jealous of those rights. In many cases, they pioneered distribution of a particular product line in Canada at a time when all sales requires shoe-leather representation and brick and mortar retail locations. The Internet has changed all that, but you can be sure that these reps, who have learned the hard way about the 'ins and outs' of Canadidan regulations, will be looking over the shoulder of anyone who attempts to ship a few items across the border. They are more than happy to point out any failures to get the paperwork right. As you might guess, penalties for getting it wrong can be severe.

For high volume sellers like Walmart, the costs of figuring all out can be spread over millions and millions of items. But no such opportunity exists for most pool product retailers. Canada is a small swimming pool market, smaller than many individual US states., but spread over a huge geographical area.

For all these reasons, margins on pool products sold in Canada have to be higher than the same products sold in the US.

How much higher? I don't know.

Personally, I found I couldn't charge enough to make it worthwhile. Even if I doubled the price, for Canadian sales, of the PS234 kits it would be a money losing proposition for me. So, I just turn away non-US sales.

Barriers between countries exist, by design. The problem is even worse, when selling to other countries, like Mexico or Australia. There's no real solution that I know of -- I'd posted a facetious one, tongue in cheek, not realizing that it would be offensive.

Please understand: I am NOT saying that it's wrong or disloyal to shop for the best price.

I'm just asking that you think a bit, before applying the word, "thief" to Canadian retailers. I'm sure a few are. Probably even more are guilty of "larceny in their hearts". But I hope I've offered some evidence that simply charging more than US retailers do, is not evidence of theft!

Sincerely,

Ben
"PoolDoc"

GHM
07-30-2006, 08:27 AM
(Apparently offensive suggestion deleted by PoolDoc)
"PoolDoc"
Is that the best solution you can come up with?...:mad:
This comment shall surely piss off a lot of Canadians. Especially Quebecers.

PoolDoc
07-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Is that the best solution you can come up with?...:mad:

Sorry, didn't realize it would be offensive. My point was, that as long as the US and Canada are separate countries, and as long as Canada is a relatively small market, low volume US-made goods, such as pool products, will tend to be significantly more expensive there, then here.

It is possible to ship to Canada and ignore all that stuff, either ignorantly or because you hope you won't get caught. I know, because I did it some, before I understood some of the issues. But the whole problem of different regulations and different certifications creates an almost insurmountable problem with respect to chemicals and electrical devices.

Ben

tenax
08-07-2006, 01:39 AM
i did use the word "thief" in jest..if i had mentioned a pool stores name, i would not have used the word, just so you know! in regards to shipping to canada, unless it's a prohibited item (i.e. chemicals that you don't want to "mislabel" to avoid custom issues for example) it's actually not difficult at all. i've done over 180 transactions back and forth across the border via ebay or with fellow members of a computer site i hang around on.and no,i'm not a dealer..i just refuse to pay local retail on expensive items ranging from computer parts to guitars and amps to pool stuff when there is a huge price disparity. i've occasionally had items shipped by fedex..will not have them shipped by ups for many reasons. it's cost prohibitive in some cases to get fedex because brokerage fees increase along with the value of the item...but, i do my homework...nice thing about couriers is the great tracking systems they have. usps air is generally how i have things sent to me and i've only had 1 package go missing in those 180+ transactions..and i question whether it went missing or just an unscrupulous private citizen who got cold feet when i asked a lot of questions:) usps air has tracking, is inexpensive and best of all, no brokerage fees given that canada post and usps have an arrangement where they handle brokerage for items going into each country for each other. at most i pay 6% canadian government sales tax with usps..and sometimes, and i don't know why, they don't even bother charging me that..i'm not going to complain:)

PoolDoc
08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
in regards to shipping to canada, unless it's a prohibited item (i.e. chemicals that you don't want to "mislabel" to avoid custom issues for example) it's actually not difficult at all.

usps air has tracking, is inexpensive and best of all, no brokerage fees given that canada post and usps have an arrangement where they handle brokerage for items going into each country for each other.
Actually, it IS quite difficult, if you want to stay legal.

You can ship illegally, and not get caught. This was very fortunate for me, since I did it for awhile before I dug into the regulations. And even now, I'm not clear on who's liable: me or the recipient. What is clear is that the liablity if you DO get caught is quite large!

Regarding USPS, it's not legal, under current USPS regs, to ship many testkits by air even WITHIN the USA, much less to Canada. Some can be shipped within the USA, but only with extensive, expensive, and very time consuming paperwork. A prior approval process by the local Postmaster or each and every item is also required. Many PoolForum users discovered this this spring when my refill shipments to them were restamped "Surface Transportation Only", subsequent to regulations revised in April 2006. Neither I nor the local Postmaster knew about them, but we both learned the hard way! Fortunately for me, no fines were involved in this case.

Violating shipping regs is sort of like repeatedly running under Damocles sword. The odds that you'll get skewered, on any given pass, are small. But the consquences of being there at the moment the sword does fall are huge!

This season, I've had several people persuade friends to purchase my kits in the USA, and then reship them to Canada. That's their choice, their risk, and their responsibility. But, I can't do it.

Ben

tenax
08-07-2006, 01:01 PM
gotcha ben..i wasn't trying to make a case for you shipping chem kits to canada, so you know:) the liability by the way for a mislabeled shipment, item marked as a gift when it is not, lost shipment, item marked at a clearly unreasonable value is the shippers, even if they have proof it was requested to be sent inappropriately by the receiver. the shipper has to make any inquiries and claims to usps.the receiver can try, but unless you get a real mr. friendly at usps, you will get the "usps manual" line and correctly so i think, that the shipper has to make the contact with usps. in most cases unless there is a really flagrant abuse, customs will simply seize the item and end of story. but i believe fines and imprisonment are possibilities. years ago when i started buying, selling and trading computer parts, i didn't know any better and people marked items as gifts all the time. these days, not worth it. the fees just aren't high enough from canada post to take the risk and if it's a low value item, the fees are going to be dirt cheap or nonexistent for duties (under 60 canadian value, zero duties)

matt4x4
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I have to disagree, items under 60 from the usa shipped by a legitimate seller not as a "gift" are still subject to duties on them, recently i bought 45 dollars worth of goods, it cost me an extra 12 dollars in duties before it was released to me. I don't like buying anything from the USA because of the shipping issues, sometimes you get lucky and don't get nailed, other times it made the whole attempt at saving some money pointless AND on top of it you have to wait for the item to arrive - sometimes upwards of 3 weeks because of customs.

RavenNS
08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree with the above post;
I find that Duty is generally paid on items over $20... sometimes you get lucky & no duties on sums higher than that... most of the time you'll end up paying something.
USPS also charges a $5 customs brokerage fee... The couriers charge way more for that. Recently had a $65 customs brokerage fee from UPS!

What makes me crazy is having to pay HST ( $15% harmonized sales tax) on the customs brokerage fee part of the duty ( as well as the 12.5%duty):mad:

I always attempt to get a seller to under-value the declared value if possible. I'm not saying write "gift" or anything, just put a reasonable amount for declaration.... ( & please not more then i paid for it!!!)
some sellers actually Inflate the cost because they want to insure it for a high dollar amount