PDA

View Full Version : New to Chlorine, was in baquacil hell, any advice please

coadysmom
07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Hello,

This forum is excellent, wish we had seen it before we spent two years in baquacil hell. We had to drain our pool and start from scratch due to the evil baquacil empire. Too long to write, but it was the easiest way for us to get the water clear.

So now we have just filled the pool back up and my question is now what?:confused: Is there a specific type of chlorine to use? We have an oval above ground and I just want to swim in it at least once before we have to close it here in MA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank is advance.

Coadys Mom

sevver
07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
So you now have fresh water? I think that now is the time for you to change your filter medium, if it is sand then change the sand, you know...

As for chlorine, we all use plain old bleach from the store. I just buy the cheap bottles from WalMart. You should post up some test results from your water once you get it going too.

coadysmom
07-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we have fresh water. So, I can just by regular bleach? Thank you again:)

sevver
07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes, regular bleach is the ticket. The problem with Baquacil though is the "goo" that it puts in your filter. You need to get all of that out. What type of filter do you use? You need to clean it out.

coadysmom
07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
We do not have a sand filter, we have a Haywayd that you put powder in. My husband has been dealing with the pool but this last baqaucil episode really ticked him off so I am trying to help out. That's why I'm not too proficient with the pool lingo and the equipment we have. Is there a tool or equaition that I can use to help me figure out how much bleach to add?

Thank you again for your help!!

sevver
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
You can download a program called BleachCalc (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emwsmith70/data/BleachCalc262.exe) and it will tell you how much bleach to add, among alot of other great things. It comes configured for metric measurements, but you can change the settings in the top somewhere. You can also see at the top that you can calculate the gallons of your pool, which you will need to enter in to get the correct bleach content.

Once your bleach stays overnight, you should take the DE filter apart and clean it, and put new DE in it.

Here is a nice summary: click me! (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=29668#post29668)

GraceByDesign
07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Here is the link to BleachCalc
Get BleachCalc 2.6.2 here:http://home.earthlink.net/~mwsmith70/data/BleachCalc262.exe

Download this handy progran to calculate your pool's needs. You can click More calcs and settings to change from Metric to Imperial to get US gallons.

ETA: Sevver beat me to it! :)

coadysmom
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello,

Thank you to all you helped in my thread below. I have some additional questions that are probably so simple but I am so unsure and don't want to scew anything up especially since we just finished draining the pool to get rid of the evil baquacil.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can anyone give me what a good ppm would be for a 15x26.5 oval abouve ground?

I suppose I need to test the water first before I add teh beleach or shoudl I had some,then test? It just finished filling about an hour ago.

Can I just egt a test kit from like Wal-Mart for now?

Thanks again!

Watermom
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I would also suggest going to the sister site to this forum and reading. www.poolsolutions.com

Welcome to the forum!

sevver
07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
You need to know what the CYA is for the pool in order to determine the ppm chlorine. I think that you had said in the other post that your CYA was 0, if that is so you should pick up some Cyanuric Acid also because you will need to raise it to between 30 and 40. I figured the pool at around 13000 gallons, and the bleach calc said to add about 3 pounds of Cyanuric Acid, I would start with half and wait a couple of days to test again.

Watermom
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I am going to merge your two threads to keep all the info together. Please continue there instead of starting another new thread. Thanks.