PDA

View Full Version : Initial Steps

snapperbig
07-27-2006, 06:17 AM
I just replaced my above ground 12X20 pool liner and just completely filled my pool with tap water. I live in the the North East.

I want to properly get my pool water balanced. The question is, I am planning on using Metal Free (to deactivate metals) and then shocking it. I was told to use the Metal Free first in order to avoid turning the water brown? Is this true. Do I need to do this. Any recommendations.
Can anyone help me with this initial step. Your help was greatly appreciated in the past. TIA:eek:

CarlD
07-27-2006, 07:07 AM
First check your fill water for metals. If you don't have noticeable levels of copper or iron, you won't need to do this, and it is better not to. Sequesterant is ONLY when you definitely have metal problems. Otherwise, avoid it.

I, too, live in the NE--in NJ. I use public water and have NO metal problems.

Usually, only if you fill with well water or from, say, a stream, are metals likely to be a problem.

So have the water checked for metals and do NOT add Metal Free unless levels indicate it is necessary. It is my opinion you should NEVER add chemicals to your pool that you don't need.

snapperbig
07-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks Carl. I guess I should just run the filter for the next day with some pucks in the skimmer, until I can have the water tested on Sunday.
Thanks