PDA

View Full Version : Pool light problem

derrikm
07-26-2006, 11:59 PM
My pool light has suddenly developed a mind of it's own. I have 500 watt Pentair incandesent light fixture. Replaced a burned out bulb about 2 years ago. Don't use it very much, probably about 50 hours per season.

About a week ago I turned it on and 10 or 15 minutes later it went out by itself. I went to the switch and flipped it a couple of times, still no light. After 30 minutes or so I tried to switch it back on and it worked. Ever since that first time it's been happening every time I use it.

It is on a GFC circuit, but it never trips. Is there some sort of temp sensor that might be turning it off because of over heating? If so, why would it all of a sudden be overheating?

I've been considering installing a SAM light, but was hoping to put it off til next year. So, any help would be appreciated.

Tredge
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Is it 120 or 12 volt?

derrikm
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Is it 120 or 12 volt?

It is 120 volt.

Tredge
07-27-2006, 01:40 PM
That rules out a faulty transformer....

I dont believe there is any kind of heat sensor in those lamps.

Sometimes electrical equipment can become naturally sensitive to heat and you may have a bad solder connection in the light housing.

Check all connections and I would try to elliminate the GFCI as a source just in case. The last resort would be to replace the light housing.

Since it happens every time it should be fairly easy to narrow down the source.