PDA

View Full Version : anyone have any experience with the Skim Shark?

waldreps
04-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Just curious if anyone has any experience with the Skim Shark battery operated skimmer that floats and moves randomly around on the surface to pick of debris? It has a rechargable battery and In the Swim has it for $69.99. Anybody out there used it?

Thanks,
Stacy

waldreps
04-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Here's a link to look at it.

http://www.intheswim.com/Automatic-Pool-Cleaners/Automatic-Pool-Cleaners-for-In-Ground-Pools/Skim-Shark-Automatic-Pool-Skimmer/

leejp
04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I can't imagine any battery powered unit like this would have enough power. I do have a leaf/pine needle problem so I'm thinking about this:

http://www.thepoolskimmer.com

This thing looks pretty simple and it actually looks like it may work. I'll try it for $60.

There is a similar product that according to the folks here (before the server went down) doesn't work and is a waste of money so stay away.

http://pooldevil.com

jabre
04-17-2006, 11:23 PM
leejp, please post your experience with the Poolskim when you get it! I agree, it looks worth the try. Thanks for volunteering to be the one on the forum to shell out the $60 to try it out :-)

leejp
04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
leejp, please post your experience with the Poolskim when you get it! I agree, it looks worth the try. Thanks for volunteering to be the one on the forum to shell out the $60 to try it out :-)

Will do...

You'll have to wait until the end of May though... that's when the cover comes off here in Upstate, NY (after most of the pine needles and the norway maple spinners have come down).

waldreps
04-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also interested in your results. I only have one skimmer in my 18x36 inground pool and it has a hard time keeping up. I'm looking for something to supplement it.

I don't think the skim shark actually sucks the debris. I think it just moves around and the debris ends up in the "mouth" of the shark. So the battery power just causes it to "swim" around. I'll wait for your results though on the pool skim. Thanks.

CAL7
04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Then, there is the Polaris LCS. See it at http://www.polarispoolsystems.com (http://www.polarispoolsystems.com/)

Look under accessories, then LCS.

I have one (also a Pool Devil and wll probably get a Poolskim, too - I am desperate for more skiming action:)) and the results are still out. It goes on the line for a suction cleaner and needs the cleaner to move it around the pool. I found that my 1.5hp pump would not drive the LCS and Hayward Navigator enough to get very effective action. Since the LCS is on the line before the Navigator, it reduces the suction to the cleaner. There is an ajdjustment, but I have found I do not have enough power to effectively drive both. I will be swapping my 1.5hp for a 2hp soon, so maybe it will improve.

gwrace1
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Well I decided to be a guinea pig for all three products. I ordered the Skim Shark, Pool Devil and PoolSkim. I'll report back results after doing some testing with each.

gwrace1
05-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Well I received the Skim Shark from In the Swim this weekend. About the only thing good I can say about it is, it's cute. The little propeller barely has enough power to do anything but give it a very slow push across the pool. The plastic filter basket has holes large enough so that a lot of small top debris like pollen and insects (ants) go right through it. There is no suction for the debris. The leaves are gathered into the mouth during the slow movement across the pool. After charging it for the recommended time I could only get about an hour's worth of run time. I would not recommend this product to anyone unless you like it's "cute appeal" Mine is going back to In the swim on Monday. It's not a real pool cleaner.

gwrace1
05-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Well I received my PoolSkim yesterday only to be disappointed again. The product only comes with 2 inch pvc fittings even though it is marketed as working on both inground and above ground pools. If you have an above ground pool with standard 1.5 inch return fittings you will have to order their adapter for $5 plus 2 dollars shipping. I plan to make a trip to Lowes on the way home to see if I can come up with some fittings to make it work.

CAL7
05-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Well I received my PoolSkim yesterday only to be disappointed again. The product only comes with 2 inch pvc fittings even though it is marketed as working on both inground and above ground pools. If you have an above ground pool with standard 1.5 inch return fittings you will have to order their adapter for $5 plus 2 dollars shipping. I plan to make a trip to Lowes on the way home to see if I can come up with some fittings to make it work.That's really strange. Their web site (same paragraph you quote above) says, "...It comes with a range of fittings ...". You would think 1.5" returns would be pretty standard.

I anxiously await your report once you get it hooked in.

waldreps
05-16-2006, 12:56 PM
gwrace1,

Thanks for being the guinea pig for us all. That is very helpful info and is very nice of you to do.

Stacy

gwrace1
05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Well I was able to complete the installation today. I need to correct a statement I made earlier about the fittings that came with the PoolSkim. As it turns out it DID COME with all the right fittings. My three year old daughter managed to get to the package before I did. When I got home from work I found the box open. I found the missing fitting in her room while picking up toys today.

Anyway I'm pleased to say that the PoolSkim works as advertised. We have a 33' round AGP rated at 26000 gallons. It does require some adjustments to the placement and angle of the fittings until you get everything nice and level. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump with two returns. Water pressure between the returns is controlled by a 3 way valve. The first return is for an Aqualumintor with fountain. The second feeds into the standard pool return. On low speed I had to kill the flow to the fountain on the aqualuminator to provide enough water pressure for the PoolSkim. On high speed water pressure was more then enough to run both returns.

It reminds me of a miniature toilet bowl the way it swallows up everything in site. It did not have any problems with insects, leaves, sticks, pollen or any other debris floating on the pool surface. It was able to maintain a nice gentle flow of water to keep things moving towards the opening.

All in all very happy with the product. Highly recommended.

leejp
05-17-2006, 08:59 AM
gwrace1...

Thanks for the review!!! I probably would have made the purchase anyway but your comments make it a slam dunk! I'll get one as soon as I remove my loo-loc cover (pump/filter is running but it's still a wee bit cold here in the Northeast and the Norway Maples have not stopped dropping yet).

waldreps
05-17-2006, 02:12 PM
gwrace1,

Did the poolskim cause your system pressure to go up? Where did you order yours from? Thanks for the review.

Stacy

gwrace1
05-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Stacy

I have not noticed any pressure increase. The return flow is probably less restricted as you remove the directional eyelet that is in the standard return and replace it with 1.5-2 inch fittings. The only place I could find to order it was directly from the distributor in Florida that was listed on the PoolSkim web site. It was $60 plus 5 dollars shipping. I had to call in the order as they don't have an ecommerce web site.

I also received the Pool Devil the other day. It appears to be a much cheaper made version using the same principle. I decided to leave well enough alone and let the Pool Skim do what it does best and that's clean the surface of the pool. For the $16 dollars I paid for it I'll keep it as a backup cleaner.

xoroniox
05-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I am very interested in buying that skimmer it seems like it works but i wanted to ask you a question before i pulled the trigger. how fine is the bag that is included will it catch pollen,small ants and tiny bugs. my pool has tons of that crap on the surface in these months. also can the bag be changed to a more fine meshed one if needed? Thanks

VOLDADDY
05-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I would like to look into one of the skimmers as well. I have an 18 x 36 IG oval pool and only have 1 skimmer, so assistance would be wonderful. How does this work with the water coming out of the return, and this being screwed into the return? Also, how big is it? I have an Aquabot and don't want it to interfere with it.

Thanks.

Water_man
06-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your helpful review of both the Skim Shark and Pool Skim.
I placed an order for Skim Shark with "In the Swim", but since it is back ordered I did a search and found this great forum. Now I’m glad that it’s back ordered. Seems that the Pool Skim is the only game in town for auto surface skimming, isn’t it?

I have a question for you about the fitting. I just bought this house with a 20 year old, 22k gallon IGP and the inlets are just round smooth holes about 1” in diameter with no thread inside or outside. Will it be possible to fit the Pool Skim in?
I have lots of leaves and I’m sick and tired of manual skimming.
Just bought the Dolphin Diagnostic ($700 at inyopool.com) and I love it! Highly recommended.
The other option was the Aquabot but the Dolphin seems a better machine.

Well I was able to complete the installation today. I need to correct a statement I made earlier about the fittings that came with the PoolSkim. As it turns out it DID COME with all the right fittings. My three year old daughter managed to get to the package before I did. When I got home from work I found the box open. I found the missing fitting in her room while picking up toys today.

Anyway I'm pleased to say that the PoolSkim works as advertised. We have a 33' round AGP rated at 26000 gallons. It does require some adjustments to the placement and angle of the fittings until you get everything nice and level. I have a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump with two returns. Water pressure between the returns is controlled by a 3 way valve. The first return is for an Aqualumintor with fountain. The second feeds into the standard pool return. On low speed I had to kill the flow to the fountain on the aqualuminator to provide enough water pressure for the PoolSkim. On high speed water pressure was more then enough to run both returns.

It reminds me of a miniature toilet bowl the way it swallows up everything in site. It did not have any problems with insects, leaves, sticks, pollen or any other debris floating on the pool surface. It was able to maintain a nice gentle flow of water to keep things moving towards the opening.

All in all very happy with the product. Highly recommended.