PDA

View Full Version : conversion

bwalsh1
07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I have read every page of everythread in this section and I must be blind. I cannot find anywhere the step by step instruction for switching a baquacil pool to chlorine or BBB. I have read "taking te Plunge" twice and still cannot find it. Can anyone direct me where to find the step by step instructions for the conversion.
Thanks
15X26 Vinyl above ground 52":confused:

GraceByDesign
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Taking the Plunge does not list the steps out concisely, but rather tells what was done during this conversion, with many comments in between.

Basically, from what I have read, a good summary is this:

1. get your chlorine up to 15ppm using bleach (lots of it!) and keep it there.
2. Test several times a day to ensure you are keeping 15 ppm chlorine levels. Use a drops based test, (Ben's kit, Taylor, or HTH 6-way) and dilute with distilled water if necessary to read the test. Here is CarlD's shot glass method for diluting your sample http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4592&page=2
3. Run your filter 24/7 and backwash as needed.
4. When your conversion is complete, change the sand in your filter (if you have a sand filter ... I do not know about cartridge or DE

Your water will go through many shades of green and orange as the Baqua is being consumed by the chlorine.

...Mods or anyone more knowledgeable than I, feel free to amend my brief summary if I did not get it quite right! :rolleyes:

aylad
07-26-2006, 06:16 PM
BAsically, you have it right--I would only add that you need to get to the 15 ppm and KEEP IT THERE until the Cl no longer drops overnight. At that point your conversion is complete, and you need to change your filter media, then add stabilizer and start balancing your water.

As Grace said, be prepared for some really strange colors in your pool before it's all over with!

Janet

GraceByDesign
07-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Janet! I guess it IS pretty important to know WHEN the conversion is complete! :rolleyes:

bwalsh1
07-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all of the help and input so far. I am sorry to be a pest but like everyone else on this great site I am a little nervous. Can I use any kind of bleach and will chlorine work in its place?? Also how many gallons at 1 time should I be adding to this ?? Not total I know but do I want to try 5 gallons at a time. Thanks. I am not afraid of the strange colors you should see what color the Baq has it at now which is my last straw after only a year and why I am finally ready to convert. Thanks again for any and all guidance.

GraceByDesign
07-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all of the help and input so far. I am sorry to be a pest but like everyone else on this great site I am a little nervous.

I am a little nervous to answer, as it seems like I am always forgetting some bit of info, but so you don't have to wait long for an answer, I will post what I know! :rolleyes:

Can I use any kind of bleach and will chlorine work in its place??

You should use plain, unscented regular (5.25%) or ultra (6%) bleach, or liquid chlorine (usually 10% or 12.5%. read http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4585 (here) for more info on that.

Also how many gallons at 1 time should I be adding to this ?? Not total I know but do I want to try 5 gallons at a time.

As many as needed to get you to 15ppm. The Baqua will eat up the bleach very quickly at first.

Thanks. I am not afraid of the strange colors you should see what color the Baq has it at now which is my last straw after only a year and why I am finally ready to convert. Thanks again for any and all guidance.

Good luck with your conversion!

bwalsh1
07-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Great thanks again for the quick reply and all the help. I am going to start tonight. I do have 1 more question I have a 26' sand filter and to vacuum to waste sucks out 5 X more water that I can add. After the conversion I am going to have the sand changed or switch filters. Will it hurt to just backwash as normal???:)

GraceByDesign
07-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Cannot answer the backwashing question, but you will have to change out your sand. No need for a new filter. :cool:

bwalsh1
07-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I knew about changing the sand but the Leslies by me recommended upgrading to a new DH filter for only $50.00 more than a sand change so I was thinking of doing that. If anybody does know about the backwash and vacuum questions please let me know. Thanks - Nervous but Excited