PDA

View Full Version : Hose from filter to return keeps blowing off

nicole12
07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
When the filter turns on the hose blows off, 3 times now. We're losing all the water to the bottom of the skimmer. I could only tell today because I heard the pump louder than normal. It's just a regular hose with a hose clamp. Should I use 2 clamps? My DH put the hose on this last time so I was sure he put it on tight enough.

sevver
07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I would definately try two hose clamps, the hose may just be dry rotted too, maybe get a new hose from the Pool Store, you may have to cut it to the same length as the other one, but while you are at it get new clamps too.

nicole12
07-26-2006, 09:30 AM
It's a brand new hose, brand new shut-off valve and brand new hose clips...no matter how tight I put the hose clamps I can still yank on the hose and it will come off...it's as if the shut-off valve's male end is way too slippery.

nicole12
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Just tried 2 hose clamps and I can physically see the hose moving off the shut-off valve. Can I scuff up the male end of the shutoff valve or put something on it so it's not so slippery?

Poconos
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Something isn't right. The fitting the hose slips onto should be barbed at least. I wouldn't trust just roughing it up. Any better description of the hose and fitting? A picture would sure help. Also curious what pressure you're running.
Al

sevver
07-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I would not scuff it up, did your DH put some soap on it or something to make the hose go on there easier? Maybe clean all of that off, it should actually be sort of hard to get the hose on there I think.

nicole12
07-26-2006, 09:56 AM
No soap was put on. It wasn't that hard to get the hose on. I did think about that was I first installed it.

I'm running 15psi.

It's the hose in the back. I'm able to unscrew that piece in the shut-off but it's a weird size, maybe I should bring it back to the pool store and see if they have a barbed end that goes into it or something that I can do. I already have a piece with a barbed end but it doesn't fit.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k16/12nicole12/filter009.jpg

nicole12
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Went back to the pool store.. told them it's come off 3 times now in less than 2 weeks since I bought the new equipment. They told me that "I need to use a hose clamp to hold on the hose" I could have hit that kid. Will probably cost me about $50 to fill the pool these 3 times not to mention the damage if any it caused the pump when it ran dry this morning. Luckily the other 2 times I was home and caught it after only losing a few inches. This am I was out for a walk and came home and heard the pump and knew right away what was going on. So I returned the shut-off valve to get one with a threaded female end so I could screw on a barbed fitting. And a new hose the ends on that old/new hose were really soft, I think too soft. He admitted they always have problems with those hoses.

So for now I have it back together and running, it's leaking a tiny bit from the barbed connection/filter hose and barbed connection/shut-off valve. Only leaked when I turned it on. Will deal with it a bit later on tonight when I'm not baking in the hot sun.

tenax
07-26-2006, 01:24 PM
i imagine you could put some teflon tape on there, eh? bulk up the end a bit and fix the leak?

matt4x4
07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't put teflon tape on it, it's pretty slippery stuff, rather, get a heat gun or hair dryer on high, heat the hose end up evenly all around, then tighten your clamp while it's warm and plyable, this usually allows it to form a seal around any edges that are causing little gaps for leaks to happen, it will also allow you to tighten the clamp that little extra. Possibly use 2 clamps to grab more area - the barbs allow for only so much surface to surface contact, 2 clamps would double that contact area.

kevincad
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Just tried 2 hose clamps and I can physically see the hose moving off the shut-off valve. Can I scuff up the male end of the shutoff valve or put something on it so it's not so slippery?
Is this the Astral pool from Rec Warehouse? If so, it's what I have, and the fitting isn't barbed, but only once did I have a hose blow off, and that was the return line at the pool. I'd go to a pool store with the fitting in my hand, and get one like it that's barbed.

robot9000
08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I had the same problem. The fitting is actually a bit narrower at the end than the beginning :confused: Probably someones better idea to make the hose go on easier.

What I did was buy two good, stainless steel hose clamps. Now, they all look the same, but quality varies. If there is a store in your area that sells boating equipment, that is where to go. Motor boats have lots of double clamped fuel liines and water lines, etc. And they are strong.

Why worry, because then you get your 1/4 in socket (I think its 1/4) and tighten the clamp with that. Not the flat bladed screwdriver. You just can't get the torque on the screwdriver to really seal it. And if you go with two clamps, offset the closure part a bit (like 10 and 1 o'clock positions).

I know, seems wayyy over compicated for a stupid pool filter hose. But unless you have this problem (or enjoy flooding the area around your pools with several hundred gallons of water :) ) it is a royal PITA.