PDA

View Full Version : copper surge from heater

dango
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Help. I am new to having a pool (inground, liner, 21k). Didnt know anything about pools and told the pro who installed a new heater that this year. But he didnt tell me about PH and heaters. Blew heat exchagner--replaced at no costs. Had "thick" blue green water. Treated with just a couple liters of Metal Free at first--didnt go away. Finally added 12 Metal Free and water went clear within minutes. This was in May. I was led to believe that the Metal Free eliminated copper....but I guess it doesnt. Copper keeps testing over "1" --as high as pool co tester goes. Water looks good--except for light blue cast. Daughters hair subject to turning green. Now watch chemicals closely daily and seem to be under control except it seems as though the chlorinator turned up to max just barely keeps enough in the system.

Question: is backwashing regularly and refilling the only true method of slowly eliminating the copper? Are there other things I should be doing?

My wife and I are really down on ourselves about the lack of info we got from the company that put the heater in and the problem we cant seem to make go away.

gerri
07-27-2006, 01:26 AM
I am trying ProTeam Metal Magic.. will see if that works and let you know. Sorry you are down about your pool. I don't have a heater... I'm not sure what you can do.:confused:

duraleigh
07-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Have you adjusted your pH to a level that won't erode the copper out of your new heater? Perhaps you are still adding copper.

I'm not sure, short of dilution or a water softener, you can completely remove metals from the pool....you can only place them in suspension with a sequestrant.