PDA

View Full Version : Baffled by Cloudy Water

Bald Eagle
07-25-2006, 03:57 PM
I have an 18' x 33' x 54" AG oval pool with an Aquarite SWCG, 1 horsepower pump and a sand filter. I have had the pool for just over a year and have had nothing but crystal clear water until just a couple of weeks ago. My water started turning slightly cloudy so I increased the clorine output on the SWCG. Water was still cloudy. Then last week we had two afternoons when dry thunderstorms moved through the area blowing lots of dust. I have had the solar cover off because the air temp has been in the high 90s to low 100s and the pool water temperature was as high as 95. After the dust storms my water turned a brownish/milky color and even after vacuuming 24/7 the color didn't change.

So, using all of the knowledge I've learned from this forum, I decided to shock the pool. I added enough chlorine bleach to bring the chlorine level up to 17 ppm. With the SWCG turned up to 70% the FC actually raised to 18 overnight. I have kept the chlorine level at 15 or higher for three days. I have had the auto cleaner in the pool with the filter running 24/7 and have backwashed the filter each day. The brownish color went away after a day of shocking and vacuuming but the water is still somewhat cloudy. At first I thought maybe I had the beginnning of an algae problem but the water doesn't feel slimey or any different than normal. The water is still slightly cloudy, getting a little better but not clear.

I have Ben's kit. My numbers are:

FC 15
CC 0
TC 15
TA 150 (down from 200)
PH 7.0 (Normally stays right around 7.4 without having to add acid or borax but lowered the PH to try to get the alkalinity down by aerating)
CH 120
CYA 45
Temperature 84 mornings/ 90 evenings

Since I don't have, and haven't had, any CC, I don't understand what is causing the cloudiness. If there is no CC, what is there in the water for the FC to be fighting? Could the high water temperature have caused the cloudiness? Am I missing something or do I just need a little more POP? :confused:

Watermom
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
You said a lot of dust was blowing into the pool. Maybe try turning off the pump and seeing if a lot of it will settle onto the floor and then try and see if you can vacuum a lot of it out. Go very slowly with the vac head or you'll just stir it up again. Also, watch that ph. Definitely don't want it any lower. Alk is ok at 150.

Bald Eagle
07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
The brown color is gone and the bottom of the pool is clean, no more dirt. The color now is kind of a milky cloudiness.