PDA

View Full Version : Metal Treatment Here I go!

cav
07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Vinyl IG 30KGL pool. DE filter

I have read Gerri & Bonni's posts & I think I'm ready to tackle my stains yet I have a few questions before I start.

First the facts. My water has been crystal clear all year yet 75% of the floor is stained from last year when I added more than 15KGL of hose water from the town. Last night I put some vitam C in my leaf bag & dargged it over the stains & they came off just about instantly & have ramained clear for more than 24hrs(See pic). Below are my most recent readings.

So from what I have read this is what I need to do?

1) Bring down the CL level to 3-5 Since my CYA is 60? Or bring it to 1?
2) Get some AA & add it to the pool. How much should I add? Where can I buy it? I guess I will dilute it first as well. Water first then add the AA
3) Add a squestering agent. Which one & how much? Also would I do this right after the AA or the next morning etc.?
4) Add some 60 Algecide & bring up the CL slowly & stop if I see the stains come back.

So here are the questions

1) Should I even try this now with the weather being hot? Or wait until the end of the season when it's colder for longer stretches?
2) Could I hope to do this on a Thur.-Sat morn. then still use the pool for swimming this weekend? Or am I not using POP out of the gate?
3) Since the Vitamin C works so fast & no stain came back can I assume the stains are not that bad & may come out & stay out w/o droping the CL levels so much?
4) Could I just use Vitamin C rigged up in a stocking & pole & rid the pool of the stains w/o doing anything else? It would take longer yet I could take my time & lose no pool time?

FC-7.5
CC-0
TC-Orange
PH-7.2
ALK-80
Cal-200
CYA-60
Temp-78

Thanks for any help & sorry for all the stupid questions

gerri
07-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Now is fine to do the treatment if you opt to do it with AA.

You can swim after the treatment, but the water may be cloudy. You could start Thursday and have your water clearing up by Sat/Sun if all goes well.

To do the AA treatment:

Bring chlorine down to 0

Use 1/2 to 1 lb AA per 10k pool water - You may need 3 pounds

Get AA from here: http://www.chemistrystore.com/Ascorbic_Acid.htm or some people can find it locally, I can't though so I order.

Do not dilute the AA. Go around the edge of your pool and drop it down the sides.. or if you can sprinkle it directly on the floor of your pool where there are stains.

You will need a quart per 10k gallons pool water (3 quarts for you) of sequestering agent like pool magent, or jack's magic - I use Aqua Chem metal, scale and stain treat from WalMart. Add the sequestering agent about a 1/2 hour after you add the AA.

You HAVE to drop your chlorine levels for the AA to work. Otherwise the AA will just eat up your Cl and not the stains. You also need to bring yoru Ph down to 7.2 for this treatment. Actually, bringing your Ph down may work on it's own to lift the stains.

4) Could I just use Vitamin C rigged up in a stocking & pole & rid the pool of the stains w/o doing anything else? It would take longer yet I could take my time & lose no pool time?

That may be entirely possible. :)

Good luck. Mbar and Waterbear have shared so much information with me here. I'm happy to pass along what I know.

cav
07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks Gerri,

Just an update for you. I used a nylon stocking tied to my pool brush to get rid of the vitamin C tablets I bought for the test. In about one hr & one bottle of Vitamin C($5.00 I think) I cleanned about 1/3 of my pool. Since the stains have not returned I think I am going to keep doing this. In the end if all goes well it will only cost me $20 or so & 3 hrs of slow brushing.

Thanks for the advice I will post again after I finish

gerri
07-31-2006, 07:01 PM
That is really great news! I'm happy this is working for you with no downtime :D