PDA

View Full Version : Cyanuric Acid Remover/Reducer

Sherra
04-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I've been surfing around on pool supply sites today and found Cyanuric Acid Remover/Reducer! I didn't realize such a thing existed. After reading all the posts on this site for a couple of years now I was under the impression the only way to remove CYA was the "drain & refill" method. Anyone ever used this? Any thoughts? Interestingly enough, it was listed under "commercial pool chemicals" and not residential! I found it on two different sites, neither lists what's in it, but it's about $50 a gallon.:eek: I REALLY wonder what's in it...
This is what it says:

Quickly reduce the level of cyanuric acid to comply with local codes, and avoid costly water problems.
Eliminate the time consuming process of draining and re-filling the pool.
Will not affect the water balance chemistry when used as recommended.
Pool can be open again only 15 minutes after application.
Dosage: One gallon of Cyanuric Acid Remover per 10,000 gallons of pool water, reduces cyanuric acid by 30 - 50 ppm.

mas985
04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
At $50 gallon, it does not seem worth it. Dilution with water is easier, gauranteed to work and probably cheaper. It cost me only $50 to fill my pool.

aylad
04-12-2006, 05:26 PM
This product was brought up on the forum a couple of years ago (at times like these I really wish we still had archives!) and I believe the general consensus was that it's a waste of money. I don't know any thing about the product, but I tend to agree with mas985--dilution with water is easier and will work!

Janet

Wayne LaBanca
04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
If they don't tell you what's in it on the site, I would seriously question the validity of the product. Coul you post a link?

tailgunnr99
04-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Actually, I have commercial indoor pools that have used it for over a year, and yes, it does work. Expensive yes,but it prevents down time from refilling commercial pools.

Watermom
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Why is there CYA in an indoor pool to begin with?

Watermom

Sherra
04-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Why is there CYA in an indoor pool to begin with?HU? Who said anything about an indoor pool?

If it truly does work, I can see where it would be beneficial to use it in an area that has water rationing or restrictions and you have a high CYA. I can see how it would be worth it (even at $50 a gallon) if you didn't want to risk getting high fines for excessive water use in a draught area that has strict laws about that kind of thing (water usage).

CarlD
04-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Be careful! The only documented chemical we are aware of that removes CYA causes more trouble than it relieves. I believe it's "Melamine".

You could use the "swamp" method to lower CYA. You let your FC go to 0, let algae grow and prosper for a couple of months, during which time it will consume CYA. Then you have to clean up the mess! (but the CYA will be lower)

Watermom
04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=Sherra]HU? Who said anything about an indoor pool?

Sherra, the reason I asked about why it was used was because of what Tailgunner wrote in his post:

"Actually, I have commercial indoor pools that have used it for over a year, and yes, it does work. Expensive yes,but it prevents down time from refilling commercial pools."

Watermom

2005phyllis
04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I researched what to so with the same problem. I was unsure about the product so I went with something I knew would definetly work. I drained the pool. But anyone with this problem should be sure to drain as much as you can the first time. We live in FLA and have to worry about ground water pushing the pool shell out of the water in the summer. We drained about 2/3's but had to do it twice. It cost us about $ 80.00. We,ve not had a problem since. One might want to find out why the problem happened though, so it doesn't happen again. We were using too much chlorine that had stabilizer in it. (The tabs and powder shock)

Sherra
04-14-2006, 07:16 AM
[quote=Sherra]HU? Who said anything about an indoor pool?

Sherra, the reason I asked about why it was used was because of what Tailgunner wrote in his post:

"Actually, I have commercial indoor pools that have used it for over a year, and yes, it does work. Expensive yes,but it prevents down time from refilling commercial pools."

Watermom

AH! I read through the messages twice after I read your message about the indoor pool trying to figure out why you were referencing indoor pools:confused: and I swear I didn't see the word "indoor" in anyones message until you quoted it just now. :o