PDA

View Full Version : FLOATRON?? This thing is awsome

love2swim
07-24-2006, 07:05 AM
We have had so much trouble with our pool this year with the algae, so bad that we couldn't see the bottom of the pool at all. Beating ourself up with all the cleaning and chem. that we had been doing. We bought this floatron and it works super.... We cleaned the pool the best we can, put the floatron in the pool. In the last 3 weeks we vaccumed the pool one time, shocked it one time and we brush it 2 times a week... The pool now is beautiful and clear. This thing will save us lots of money and time. It cost like $250.00

Kim
18 x 36 inground liner

traceyb
07-24-2006, 07:55 AM
We have had so much trouble with our pool this year with the algae, so bad that we couldn't see the bottom of the pool at all. Beating ourself up with all the cleaning and chem. that we had been doing. We bought this floatron and it works super.... We cleaned the pool the best we can, put the floatron in the pool. In the last 3 weeks we vaccumed the pool one time, shocked it one time and we brush it 2 times a week... The pool now is beautiful and clear. This thing will save us lots of money and time. It cost like $250.00

Kim
18 x 36 inground liner

Hey Kim........My friend is a stylist and she said the same thing about that floatron. How does it work? Do you put chemicals in it or is it strickly solar operated. Explain. I am a new pool owner and am interested in the purchase. Where did you get it? I really want to know the way it works if you could? Thanks

rcabor1
07-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Another copper based product designed to flatten our wallets? This seems like another spam post. Anyone reading this should not buy it until pooldoc or someone else more qualified responds. I have a feeling you need a tinfoil hat on for it to work correctly.

EricF
07-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Agreed. Looks like spam to me. JACSS.

EricF

duraleigh
07-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Hmmm, at last, the real magic bullet we've been looking for!

Hope springs eternal on us all finding the easy way out.

Tossing these miracles into your pool will only delay the reality we must all face sooner or later......we must learn how to test and dose properly if we want long term results in keeping our water crystal clear and sanitary.

NWMNMom
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Kim, I ALSO found something that works wonders for cleaning when I toss it in my pool. Wow, imagine our astonishment when we found out that this thing we had just lying around the house was really good for something after all! In just a few minutes a day, our pool is kept sparkling clear and the best part is that I don't have to plug it in or recharge batteries - it runs on PIZZA! It's my 13 year old son and a jug of bleach!!! Can you stand it???!!!!

waterbear
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Floatron is a solar powered ionizer...Austraila has totally banned their use in spas and in pools can only be used with normal FC levels.
The instruction manual
http://www.floatron.com/instruct.htm
states that you must maintain at least a 1 ppm FC and possibly higher and that it puts .3 ppm copper into the water! I can put .3 ppm copper into my water if I wanted to (I don't) much more cheaply with a bottle of copper based algaecide!

DavidD
07-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Hmmm, at last, the real magic bullet we've been looking for!

Hope springs eternal on us all finding the easy way out.

Tossing these miracles into your pool will only delay the reality we must all face sooner or later......we must learn how to test and dose properly if we want long term results in keeping our water crystal clear and sanitary.

Kim,

I just wanted you to see Dave S.'s comments one more time. How true and to the point. Your new gismo may in fact have worked this time, but next time you will be back to square one, minus a few bucks and with a few more "gotchas" to deal with.

Dave D

PoolDoc
07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Easy, gently, folks.

I appreciate your vigilence, but I did some checking, and it's not at all clear to me that "Love2Swim" is spamming.

Please keep in mind, that for people who don't know how to operate a pool successfully and economically with chlorine alone, a copper source like the Floatron can seem "awesome".

If they have a vinyl liner (as Love2Swim does) and dark hair (dunno about that), then something like the Floatron may indeed work very well, at least compared to what they'd been doing before. If you'll check Love2Swim's other posts here (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4500), it sounds like maybe they've been pretty casual about pool chemistry. Among other things, they (AND their pool dealer) aren't clear on the difference between pH and alkalinity.

My guess is that what Love2Swim needs is information about an even more "AWESOME" way to care for her pool.

Ben
PoolDoc

traceyb
07-24-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow guys. I asked "love2swim" how the floatron worked? I have yet to have that response, however I'm all for keeping my pool up the "right" way and avoid costly troubles later. I found a wonderful lady who runs a pool store that DIDN"T sell me my pool and has already saved me a bunch of $.
Instead of hundreds of pounds of soooo many chemicals, she had me add stabilizer and baking soda along w/ chlorinne. I am taking h2o samples to her daily until she says I am ready to SHOCK. I have only had the pool full for 3 full days and an evening of another. What do you all think? (and not about the floatron.........I've decided to nix that for now)

love2swim
07-25-2006, 12:10 AM
I am very hurt that ya'll would think that I am out to spam someone. I am NOT that kind of person. I am just trying to help other people. You beleave what you want to beleave. I know this much.. We bought this thing for $250.00 and I know that my pool is beautiful and clear now. Plus we know two families that have this Floatron. And one of them told us that he was spending 200.00 to 300.00 a year on his pool before he got this. He is on his 3rd summer with it and he told us that he spent $25.00 on his pool last summer.
So you swim in your green and cloudy pool and I will keep swimming in my clean, clear beautiful pool.

waterbear
07-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Love2swim,
If you take the time to read all the info that you can on www.poolsolutions.com and then read all the stickies in this forum you will learn that taking care of a pool IS easy and inexpensive once you know what to do. The biggest expense you will have is for a GOOD test kit such as the one sold on poolsolutions or a Taylor k-2006....the poosolutions kit is a better 'bang for the buck'
Your floatron is putting copper into your pool. The same results can be achieved with a $15 dollar bottle of copper algaecide. The Floatron instructions say that you still need to maintain normal chlorine levels. A properly chlorinated pool will NOT get algae nor get cloudy. Why don't you do yourself a favor and also save money in the process and learn how to properly care for your pool. I am saying this to help you out. I work in a pool store and sell copper/silver units but I do NOT recommend them.

CarlD
07-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Love2Swim:

It seems pretty clear that you are not a spammer just a user happy with a product.

But you must understand that every season someone posing as poolowner, but really a spammer, shows up touting some magic solution to all pool problems. Usually they are touting a bromine or bacquacil chemical, an electromagnet, or a copper erosion system. Check the Hall of Shame where we've tossed a couple of these clowns before PoolDoc yanked their membership (the same PoolDoc who told folks to ease up on you).

We've already had at least 3 this season.

Your thread-starting post looked a lot like these...so people got suspicious in a hurry.

People come to PoolForum.com because they have problems, mostly, and their pool store can't help them, keeps recommending lots and lots of expensive chemicals (like they are doing to your friends) that don't work.

The methods advocated here DO work. Once your pool is where you want it you'll spend very little time on taking care of it, but just enough.

BTW, we are VERY familiar with all of these add-ons--Floatron is just another copper-erosion system. But copper has a plethora of problems. A much more popular one is called Nature2 and is sold in pool stores from coast to coast. People swear by it. Curiously, though, Nature2 won't say what's in it or what it releases (a copper/silver mix). Nature2 doesn't have any independent studies to back its claims. No science

By my estimate, your $250 investment, plus $25 for the season is $275 which will buy about 155 gallons of bleach. At the MOST conservative usage rate--a gallon every other day for a 3-month season, that's 45 gallons. So you could buy enough chlorine for 3 1/2 seasons.

Meanwhile, soon, blond hair will turn green and so will your pool fittlings.

In 3 years, it will have cost you, by your estimate, $325 dollars--and you could buy enough bleach to last your pool for 4 1/2 years. It will take you 5 years before you finally will catch up to what it would cost you to use bleach by our methods.

So it's going to take you 5 years for your Floatron to pay for itself, according to your own figures, instead of using our methods.