PDA

View Full Version : Cal # too high? Vinyl pool?

debs_pool
07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Here are my AM #'s for yesterday:
(Ben's kit)

FC = 6.5
CC = 0
TC = 6.5
pH = 7.7
Alk = 160
Cal = 500 (Too high? How do I decrease this in my vinyl pool?)
Cya = 45
Temp = 82

Water Clarity = Clear in shallow end - can see main drain at 8' deep end but water is not as clear. And certainly not sparkly!

Heater ( being repaired -- not that we need a heater right now! LOL)

I thought I might take a sample to the pool store tomorrow and see how it compares ...

Suggestions and comments on #'s appreciated. Please let me know if I haven't posted this in the correct place. Thanks. Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped me since I joined.

azimmer1
07-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I have a vinyl pool and therefore don't even measure calcium. It really doesn't matter much. Way to high can lead to some cloudiness. Personally I haven' measured it in over 2 years.

debs_pool
07-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Okay ... maybe THIS is the right forum to post my question! LOL Still learning where to post stuff! Any help will be appreciated.

Cal #'s too high? (vinyl pool)
Here are my AM #'s for yesterday:
(Ben's kit)

FC = 6.5
CC = 0
TC = 6.5
pH = 7.7
Alk = 160
Cal = 500 (Too high? How do I decrease this in my vinyl pool?)
Cya = 45
Temp = 82

Water Clarity = Clear in shallow end - can see main drain at 8' deep end but water is not as clear. And certainly not sparkly!

Heater ( being repaired -- not that we need a heater right now! LOL)

I thought I might take a sample to the pool store tomorrow and see how it compares ...

Suggestions and comments on #'s appreciated. Please let me know if I haven't posted this in the correct place. Thanks. Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped me since I joined.

mas985
07-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Good idea to confirm the level before doing anything but 500 is bit high which may cause cloudiness and/or scaling. The only practical way to reduce it is with a partial refill. Amount of refill will depend on your tap water CH so you may want to test that too.

Also, since 500 is not extremly high, you could operate with it for a while but I would lower your PH to at least 7.4 and alkalinity to 90-100 to help reduce the chance of scaling until you can refill. Without a heater or SWG, the only real risk for you is scale on the tile or a cloudy pool.

aylad
07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
If you're using the kit Ben sells, don't waste your time and gas going to a pool store--your test results will be much more accurate. Your calcium level is a little high...it's probably okay for now, but if you let your TA and pH get high, you may end up with a milky pool. The answer to lowering it is drain/refill.....but whatever you do, I would steer clear of using cal-hypo for chlorine!

Janet

Watermom
07-24-2006, 10:20 PM
And, do not use any cal-hypo to chlorinate with as it will cause your calcium level to continue to climb.

EDIT - Please don't double post the same question in more than one forum. It makes it difficult for people to help if all the info/replies are not in the same place. I am merging your two threads into one in the alk/calcium forum. Thanks.

Madty
07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Yeah- Adjust your PH/TA first with acid, wait a couple of days and see if it helps to clear- drain pool as a last resort. (or drain 1/2 whatever...)

Kevin