PDA

View Full Version : How to calibrate Autopilot

Tominthedesert
04-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a few questions about calibrating a autopilot DIG-220. Before the server crash I believe there was a calibration procedure listed. Can someone repost that?

Also I am not sure if I really need to recalibrate my unit. It was installed about a month ago. I just took a sample to the pool store, it appears the pool store sodium readings are lower then what the Autopilot is showing. (By 500 ppm). My question is it common to have to calibrate a new Autopilot?

Also what are the optium pool chemistry levels for a salt chlorinator?

Tom

nater
04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Tom, here's my 2 cents....

I installed a DG-220 about a month ago. First, I'd recomend ordering a Taylor (or Ben's) test kit that tells you your ppm of salt. I don't think you'll want to go to the pool store everytime you need to refill, after a rain, etc...

As for the calibration, hopefully Poolsean will see your post and respond. He's a great resource for all things Autopilot. You can also download the manual from Autopilot's web site.

After adding my salt and testing, I found the Autopilot showed about 300 ppm higher than the Taylor test (repeated 3x to be sure). I went to "Installer Menu" (hold it for 10 seconds). From there you can "callibrate" the salinity level, select power level, pump timers, etc. I just changed the Autopilot ppm down to match the test. So far, so good. Subsequent tests have been +/- 100 ppm, which is good enough for me.

For chemistry, follow the excellent advice offered here in the forum for your type of pool and all should be fine. I believe we are supposed to keep a higher CYA level than non SWG pools (60-80 ppm vs. 30-40 ppm). Unfourtunately, my pool was at 150+ when I checked it, and I've been replacing water to bring it down closer to 60-80.

Poolsean
04-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Correction, the salt calibration is in the Maintenance menu.
Press MENU, then arrow up or down to CALIBRATE SALT.
Press SELECT, then arrow up or down to match your salt test.
Press SELECT, the unit will adjust to the new reading.
EXIT MENU to go back to the regular display.

It is important that you have the water tested at least 24 hrs of pump operation after adding salt so that it is circulated and distributed evenly throughout the pool. Only if this salt test shows differently from the unit do I recommend going into the Salt Calibration menu. A +- 200 - 300 ppm difference is not uncommon and does not warranty calibration, although it doesn't harm it to adjust it.

JerryZ
04-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Also make sure your salt sensor has not gotten calcium on it. They need to be replaced periodically. The plates reverse to stop buildup, but unless you swish some acid/water solution in the "U", nothing ever cleans the salt/temp sensor.

And those salt/temp sensors are dang near impossible to take out.