PDA

View Full Version : AG Nightmare

SADSUE
07-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Hello - hope to get some quick advice here. After many years of talk, we decided to get a pool installed this year. Researched options, checked BBB, etc. Went with an installer (pool co subcontractor). Anyway we ended up with an installation that's just amature in my novice opinion. The story could be much longer, but for the moment, I would appreciate thoughts on my biggest concerns with this mess.

The pool - Buttress Free 15 x 30 Oval - Seaspray.

First, the liner bottom is full of lumps - not bumps, but major lumps. Additionally, in a few areas the support rails that run under the pool are visible. The installer said not to worry - in a month or so that would all smooth out. Is that possibly true?!!?!?!?

Second the metal surround has horizontal buckles in two areas (diagonally from each other). Is there any way to fix properly without taking it all down?

The installer is supposed to show on Tuesday after being called away for a family funeral - I just want to be well informed.

I'll be checking back tomorrow as I only have tedious dial up in my area. Thanks in advance!

NWMNMom
07-22-2006, 11:57 PM
You can fix that! Thanks to the great advice given here (by Dennis or Carl, I believe) someone else with the same problem, then even I, had the same exact problem and were able to almost INSTANTLY fix that! In both of our cases, there was an area that was not quite as level as the rest under the bottom rail (a hump) that caused the wall to be higher there and buckle - mine was a very small buckle in one spot, the other persons was more pronounced like yours I think. Anyways, he recommended VERY CAREFULLY using a small flat spade, scraper or pocket knife or something and scraping out the dirt at the high spot under the rail in that area. Do not poke it in farther than right at the rail or it will go in and could damage the liner - JUST under the metal (aluminum) rail (We have a Seaspray too!) OMG! You would not believe how FAST that straightened out, like in less than 10 mins!

Did your installer do all the levelling too? If it buckled that bad in 2 spots, I would not be satisfied either. We did our own, it was only a small hump just under the rail in one spot, so we only had ourselves to blame...but if I had PAID someone, then I would be mad....

hrsdennis
07-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi, first off, I hate to say it but it sounds and looks like a poor installation. Picture one (in the order they appear, not the file name) I would guess is an issue caused by the pool not being round in that area. Picture two is a major leveling issue. The lumps and bumps in the bottom of the pool should just not be. They may get worse over time but they will never get better. And if you are talking about the metal straps that run under the pool to connect the side braces, being visible. These are very bare, sharp metal and will cut into a liner very quickly. They should never come into contact with the liner.

All of these issues to be fixed correctly will require an empty pool. I would also try to go above the installer and try to get his boss or the store owner out to look at it. Either that or take your pictures into the store and show them. Maybe they have someone that could put the pool up correctly.

And Mom, Your advice is great but this situation is a little more serious. Here we have a much bigger leveling issue and it is located at the footplate intead of just a little rise in the middle of a bottom rail. If picture two was the only issue it might be worth a try but to drop the pool that much might cause other issues. I am just guessing they should not do a thing at this point until help arrives.

Best of luck, Dennis

SADSUE
07-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks to both for your quick responses.

My gut told me that the install was just sloppy. The longer I stewed (as they were all out of town) the more I felt justified in my concern. Wrote up all the items that I felt were improper - sent an e-mail to the installer, and overnighted a copy to the company president - along with color photos. (I also copied my "attorney" - ok, I made up the e-mail address for an attorney.)

The support rails under the pool are supposedly covered in foam - so when they conceed to re-install, will the liner and surround still be good to use?

hrsdennis
07-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Everything should be fine to reuse. It is more of a labor issue than anything else. I hope they take good care of you. Keep us posted, Dennis

SADSUE
07-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks again Dennis! So "glad" I couldn't sleep - too much mulling over our next move. I'll post again with the results.

I've not used the web quite like this before, and I'm on line at work all the time...this forum is just so full of great information. It obviously works because it's populated by generous folks like yourself!

Sue

gpshemi
07-24-2006, 07:50 AM
I thought I always read in here that once you use a liner you can't reuse it.

gpshemi

sevver
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM
I think a new pool would be ok, but if it gets totally removed, then I don't think you would ever get the skimmer bolt holes and everything lined up exactly where they were.

SADSUE
07-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Since everything is still new, I didn't think the liner would be an issue - still have water in the pool, and hope that they will re-do the install tomorrow - this from Dennis when I searched the forum.

The liner has been in for a week today - with water - it has not been dry (or stepped on!). Any one had to do this with a brand new liner?

Re: Recycle liner?
Hi, My policy is if the liner is less than a year old and the customer begs enough I will install it for them.

They do shrink and become brittle over the years so one year is my cut off point. The only way to find out if it is any good is to put it in the pool. With the skimmer and return in their proper positions will the liner extend across the bottom of the pool with enough left over to drape over the wall, or insert the bead into a bead groove

If the liner is still fresh it is possible but a new one is always better.

Best of luck, Dennis