PDA

View Full Version : Turtle in pool

gerri
07-22-2006, 04:33 PM
There was a pretty turtle in our pool today. I have no idea where it came from but it was yellow and black and about 8 inches from the front to the back of it's shell... so not a baby. I dipped it out even though it looked like it was enjoying itself in there. My 2 year old watched it crawl away ever so hesitantly and said "bye bye turtle" :) I kind of hope it comes back, just stays out of the pool.

mhnewcomb
07-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I wish my "Critter for the Year" had been a live turtle--instead, I got a dead baby rabbit in the skimmer. :( It's been wicked hot here in middle TN, and I guess he just wanted to cool off. (Took me 15 minutes, a stick and a rubber glove to get over the EWWW factor and get him out of there.)

tenax
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
2 years in a row,i had a mama and papa duck in my pool (post winter, before adding chlorine..they seem smart that way:)) it was kind of tranquil to see these ducks swimming in my pool eating bugs...then they would climb out and sit on the concrete deck and suntan until there next swim..the first year it was just a mama mallard..next year, so she brought a friend..kind of missed seeing them this year. we are right in the middle of our city so it was unusual. that being said, we have a park behind us and one of canada's largest manmade parks 2 blocks over and we see tons of deer in the wintertime when they are foraging for food..5 to a dozen at a time wandering between houses right in the middle of the city!

medvampire
07-25-2006, 01:54 AM
I have had a cat, a racoon, 2 possums and squrrells in or on the side of my pool. I scared the cat witch took off across the pool on the solar cover. Looked like the kitty was running on water.
Steve

waterbear
07-25-2006, 02:06 AM
I keep finding small crabs in my pool! I live only a block from the ocean so I guess that is where they are coming from, just not sure how they are getting into the screen room. I guess they like the salt from my SWG.

medvampire
07-25-2006, 04:03 AM
Waterbear
I keep finding small crabs in my pool!

Can I go there ??? Just one little comment ????:D

Steve

matt4x4
07-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey Tenax - are you out Calgary way???

docwalker
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
There was a pretty turtle in our pool today.About two years ago, we found "Winston", a half dollar-sized red-eared slider our skimmer (bottom turtle in photo). After becoming quite attached to him, we've acquired 3 more to keep him company. As you can see, they have a great time basking. BTW, we know they're both females, but they were named before we knew enough about turtle gender.

gerri
07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Cute turtles!
Let's see if I can post our visitor:

http://www.magicsnail.com/walter/072206/images/IMG_0015.jpg

http://www.magicsnail.com/walter/072206/images/IMG_0017.jpg

tenax
07-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey Tenax - are you out Calgary way???

hey matt..darn close..lethbridge! lived in calgary from 1996 to 2002 before moving "down south":)

tenax
07-26-2006, 07:34 AM
by the way, folks..these turtles do okay in chlorinated pools? i have wondered for awhile how animals do living in there!

gerri
07-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Oh I don't know about living in there.. the turtle we had was just one we found in there and immediately dipped out! He went on his way and we haven't seen him since. I really don't want to have any creatures living in the pool. :D

tenax
07-26-2006, 03:43 PM
my wife thought the turtle would be cool:) unfortunately, my daughter then decided she wanted to have a snake in the pool as well..mind you, she also wants to be a vampire (15 going on 20..god help me)

gerri
07-27-2006, 01:42 AM
A turtle I could probably live with but I wouldn't want his poo in the water! But a snake... ewwww... makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. We had a small one in the skimmer a couple of years ago and the neighbors ALL heard me screaming! :eek:

docwalker
07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
by the way, folks..these turtles do okay in chlorinated pools? i have wondered for awhile how animals do living in there!I found him in the skimmer and removed him as soon as I found him. Now he's safe in a climate-controlled aquarium with his other buddies.