PDA

View Full Version : Bleach problems? confused

rayh78
07-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I have an 18” x 4” deep AG pool for 20 years and never had and problems until this year when I added a solar panel and started using bleach.
First had an algae problem and could not get chlorine levels up. But corrected a low A and bleach and things cleared up but my chlorine level was always high about 10 ppm.

Clear for 2 weeks then overnight instead of high it went to almost 0 and so cloudy could not see the bottom.

Added 1 gallon of bleach, put my floating tablet dispenser back in, turned off solar panel, started running pump 24/7 waited 2 days and had water tested after still cloudy.

A= 200
Ph= 7.8
Hardness=250
Total chlorine= 5
Chlorine= 5
Stabilizer= 150

The pool store said the chlorine was way to high and recommended ph down to try to bring down the A. Waited 3 days and still cloudy but at least can barely see the bottom now. But now instead of high the chlorine reading was back to about 0. But ph was ok.

So I just now put the tablet dispenser back in and added ½ gallon of bleach. Then first checked with test strips and cya is about 125. By the test strip the A would be high if it is a dark green but I get a color of dark blue no were near green.
Tested again with a regular aqua chem. Test kit and the A reads about 170.

I am now so confused by this I don’t know what to do?
Also with bleach instead of tablets can the chlorine level change from high to 0 overnight? And reading on the forum people are talking about chlorine levels of 10 to 25 ppm but everywhere else I read said 5 ppm is too high.
Please help.
My neighbor just uses the tablets and adds 1 gallon of bleach each week and never has a problem with the same type pool.

hulla
07-22-2006, 01:04 PM
You have too much stabilizer in the pool which is limiting the effectiveness of the chlorine. You test the level at 150 but it may be even higher.

Bring the stabilizer (CYA) level down by partially draining then refilling. This will also at least partially correct your alkalinity.

Search for Bens Best Guess Table for info on chlorine/stabilizer levels. It's a sticky.

waterbear
07-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Here is link to the best guess table
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=365
With a CYA of 150 ppm (and it might even be higher since CYA cannot be accurately tested above 100 ppm without dilution of the sample)
you need to be running your FC at at least 8 ppm up to 15 ppm (I would go with at least 10 ppm) for NORMAL CHLORINATION and shocking to a MINIMUM of 25 ppm to achieve proper sanitation and to actually reach shock levels!

IMHO, the best thing to do would be drain and refill to get the CYA down to a range of 30-50 ppm! At this point I would strongly suggest switching over to bleach and not using the trichlor. Trichlor is about 50% CYA and with every tab that you use you are raising the CYA in your pool!