PDA

View Full Version : Tip to add salt

dawndenise
07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Just added 7 bags of salt yesterday and another 2 today after my salt test showed I hadn't quite reached my target. The AquaRite should get fired up tonight :) .

I really, REALLY want to thank whoever it was that had the idea of putting the salt in my big leaf basket and then hanging it over the pool's edge by a return. I wish I could remember where I picked up that idea so I could give proper credit where it's due. It was great putting in about half a bag at a time and then doing something else while it dissolved in front of a return. and, by being careful, I didn't even have to brush (much...).;)

sevver
07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
That is a good idea, I may have to add mine like that. I can't get anyone to do it for me and I am not allowed to swim yet. Hopefully Tuesday I will be allowed to get back in and I will just do it myself.

PatL34
07-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Sandy,

You might have got it from me. I use it to dissolve CYA. It is very effective.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645#post6645

Pat

dawndenise
07-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Then thank you, thank you, as it made the chore of adding bag after bag much easier. I also know that right from the beginning, it was all dissolved!! Great idea!:)

hulla
07-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Whats wrong with just dumping the bag of salt in the pool and walking away while the pumps circulate the water?

Poolsean
07-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Depending on the type of salt used, it may cause staining.
This is caused mostly granular salt that contains an anti-caking additive called Yellow Prussiate of Soda (YPS). YPS has trace amounts of iron in it. Leaving this type of salt on a plaster surface can stain it.
Solar salt and water softener (conditioning) salts do not have YPS and should be safe to add without this process of slow dissolving it. Make sure your pump is running though. It will help dissolve the salt faster, and spread the salt evenly throughout.

I've used the granular salt without problems for years but you have to make sure you dissolve it rapidly. Fortunately, granular salt will dissolve rather quickly. I usually see about 60 - 70% of it dissolve before it hits the bottom of the pool. It's fast dissolving. What to do with the rest? If you dump the salt over the main drain, brush the rest directly into the main drain. It will be dissolved before it hits the filter! Adding it all in one spot makes it easier to brush also. Forget about walking around the perimeter of the pool while adding the salt. It just makes more work for you.

hulla
07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
I've been slowly adding a bag of salt (water conditioner pellets) whenever we go swimming. The kids like to play with it. Most of it just gets thrown around. Luckily I got the right salt. No stains.

rak70
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I just dump the bag of salt directly in my skimmer basket with the pump running. Each skimmer will hold a 40 lb bag of the solar salt and it only takes about 3-4 minutes for it to completley dissolve...

Poolsean
07-24-2006, 01:05 PM
WOW...that's one huge skimmer!

KirstenHW
07-24-2006, 01:25 PM
You're not kidding! I put four 40# bags in yesterday (first time). I could only put about 1/4 of a bag in my skimmer at a time. I got nervous because it appeared to be affecting the skimmer inflow. And it took about 10-15 minutes per batch to dissolve.

sevver
07-24-2006, 01:59 PM
I just dumped it in a pile in the pool today, and I stood in it piled it up and stirred it up, after about ten minutes it was disolved. I will add another bag today and see if I notice a difference, the first bag did not do anything noticeable. I have an 8000 gallon pool so I think this should get me to around 1200 or so.