PDA

View Full Version : Pool deck

Denfel
04-12-2006, 06:41 AM
is good idea to paint the pool deck?

Sherra
04-12-2006, 08:16 AM
What type of deck are you talking about? Wood...concrete??? I guess it depends on what type of "look" you are going for. I see them "paint" concrete on the home improvement shows on TV all the time.

MarkC
04-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Make sure you add some sand or other traction agent to the paint or the resulting finish may be very slippery when wet.

InfinityPools
04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Painting a deck Or (Staning) Is common. Most Of my decks are sold with a color and texture scheme in mind. Resurfacing a deck can be a learning experience if the proper precautions are not taken.

The easiest way to change color or texture with out alot of hassle is through these few steps.

1. Sit down and pre plan your end goal. Color, Pattern, Texture, Etc.
Prep is key. You don't want your deck looking like an overpainted piece of furniture.

2. clean your area from all loose debris, Pressure wash, Acid wash and scour if necessary Scour is somtimes necessary to create a bonding for mortar.

3. Float the Deck: This creates a fresh finish so your deck will come out looking clean and new.

4. Texture you can rent a spray machine from places like home depot or Lowes. This can be somewhat messy, So Masking paper and tape will be needed to prevent you cage screen or your homes exterior walls from being textured. This method takes time and patience but the end product is worth it. Sanding and scraping the rough edges of the texture will be needed and this does take some time. Deck material for texture can be purchased at Porter paints or Flexbon. Make sure you get Resin to mix in your texture machine for a perfect bond.

5. Trowel designs are fun, but it does require alot of knee time and some help to make sure your mix dosen't harden before you apply it.

6. Stamp designs are challenging and very time intensive. There is no inbetween on these types of decks. Either the outcome is really good or Really bad. Ive done both and recomend that a professional be used. Unless you have done stamps for over a few years and have them down pat, You will not be happy. But don't be hindered, be creative you can even design your own unique stamps with a few materials from your local hardware store.
Soft copper strips work real well.

7. Stain: Real simple after you have created your masterpiece you are definately going to want some contrast. I have used just abouth every distributed decking stain on the market. Flexbon In my opinion has the best product. If ya have a preference go with it, It is just my experience with thier product. Roll it on, touch up the edges with a brush usally two coats sometimes three...

Disclaimer: Everything I have stated above is to give you an Idea of the process and to put you on the right track on resurfacing your own deck. Talk to your local professionals on the best way to tackle your project.

Enjoy