PDA

View Full Version : Converting with DE filter problem

acdanc
07-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Started conversion yesterday and have experienced all the issues talked about here but have a big problem with my DE filter pressure rising after extremely short time. Changed filter media this morning and same results. Can't have someone bump filter every 15 min, 13 year old is not that attentive. Can filter be turned off or any suggestions ? Please help!

acdanc
07-21-2006, 12:42 PM
No reply yet can anyone please help? Sorry to be a pain but don't want to damage pump.

acdanc
07-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Still no help out there for this problem? I had to turn pump off from 10:30 until now. Is this going to slow things down? How can i remove all this gunk if i can't run the filter? Please HELP!
Thank You in advance.

waterbear
07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I am not an expert on biguinide to chlorine conversion but I do know that you will have to clean the filter regularly during the process to get rid of the baquagoo that will collect in it. Bumping is not cleaning. It just mixes the dirt and DE back together. The 'goo' will clog the DE and can clog your grids so the best thing to do is break the filter down and clean it when the pressure is too high (don't forget to clean the grids) and keep at it until the conversion is complete.

kalan
07-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi,
When I did my conversion a few yaers ago with a DE filter I ended up taking the filter apart and cleaning it every day for the first couple of days. It was so bad that I could not leave the filter on over night because it would plug so quickly. Be assured that after a couple of days it will not be so bad. While I was using baq I would use 50 to 100 lbs of de a year. Now I use less than 12 lbs a year. and that is because I like to clean the filter every now and then. I could probably just let it go and would have no problem. Stay the course and you will be fine. Change the de often at first baq really gums it up.
Ken

ILHoz
07-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Just about complete with convergence.

We ran our filter during the day and let it sit at night. Only thing I think it did was make it take a little longer. We have a sand filter and will change the sand when we are finished with convergence. Our Baqua. levels were high
(60) so that could have also been one of the factors in the amount of time.
We started last sun. Pool seems to be getting clearer by the minute.
Leslie

acdanc
07-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Thank you all for your input on things it is greatly appreciated. I too had to play things by ear with the filter until i could be available full time. You must check and bump the filter every 15 min in my experience and replace the DE as often as possible. Nasty looking pumpkin slurry/ creamy tomato soup junk will be encountered. I also have gotten over the top with the super frequent changes to the DE. Pool is crystal clear with a tint of green. I am still trying to get the chlorine to hold overnight. I will keap you informed and hopefully post some pictures to, stay tuned.
Thanks again,
Alan