PDA

View Full Version : While my pool lies in WAIT ...

debs_pool
07-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I noted this in my post in the pool equipment forum but thought I might get an answer on this forum about the chlorine part ...

They took my pump :eek: to get repaired (or maybe I'll have to replace) but anyway should I add bleach to the pool tonight? Here are my most recent numbers:

From a pool store I don't usually go to: (7/18/06)

pool water -- here's the #'s and the comments on the page:
> FC: 5.0 (Above Min) -- I know -- it's coming down though after working
> on my mustard algae problem all last week
> TC 5.0 (Above Min) -- DITTO
> Calcium Hardness 325.00 (Good Reading)
> CYA 20.0 (Below Minimum)
> Total Alk: 130.0 Above Max
> pH: 7.8 (good reading)
>
> He told me to turn pump off and add 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid in 1
> spot and filter for 12 hours (I HAVE NOT DONE THIS) and re: CYA told me
> to add 10 lbs of conditioner -- to pour slowly in skimmer (I HAVE NOT
> DONE THIS YET EITHER)
>
> My numbers yesterday(717/06) were: (with Ben's kit)
> FC 11
> CC 0 ( I hope I'm doing this part right)
> TC 11
> pH 7.6
> Alk 160
> Cal 500
> Cya 55
> Water Temp 85
>
> I will take a sample to my regular pool place tomorrow. If I need
> muriatic acid I can get that at cost (or a little more) where my DH works.

Should I test again today -- even though the water isn't circulating? Suggestions until I get a pump going again?

Thanks to all of you for your help!

CToon
07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Deb,

I vote you go with the numbers you got from testing the pool yourself. With that , I have to say , I would be perfectly happy with those numbers. I wouldnt add muriatic acid to get the ph down from 7.6 .

If I did go with the pool store numbers (7.8) , NO Way am I putting 1/2 gallon in . MAybe 16oz .but that would be it..Since you cant run the filter , I'm not even comfortable with that idea

As for keeping the CL up , I would pour bleach as needed around the perimeter and jump in and make some waves :)

dawndenise
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi Debbie,

My, but you've really been hit with a lot of pool issues lately, haven't you? My hat's off to you in perservering through them all.

Now for your questions. YES, you need to keep testing your water with or without your pump. I'm in TX but I can imagine you've got a whole lot of sunlight eating up your chlorine in OK too. Remember that each day, you will lose chlorine, just a matter of how much. Each day you need to test and replenish as necessary to keep your chlorine in line with your CYA reading, as shown on Ben's Best Guess chart. I know you want to keep your chlorine in line as I'm certain you don't want to do battle with algae again:eek:

Frankly, if it were me, I'd keep using Ben's testing kit and forget about any pool store testing unless I were getting some really odd results and wanted a double-check. You've got arguably the best tests available to you in Ben's kit, so go ahead and use them.

CToon is right...ignore the pH adjustment for now, but keep testing it so you can correct if needed.

I'd also retest my CYA, using Ben's kit of course. 20 vs 55 is a big difference, especially as it relates to how much FC to keep. If your CYA is truly 20, then tonight's FC level of 5 is fine and right in range. But if your CYA is 55, then 5ppm FC may be barely in range, according to the Best Guess chart.

So, my vote is to add the bleach and either jump in, as CToon suggested, or at least swish it all around with your pool brush. :)

aylad
07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm with the others...go with your own numbers from Ben's kit, ignore the pool store's advice, and keep bleaching your pool while the pump is away!

Janet

debs_pool
07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all your support! Yes, dawn ... I've had a lot of pool issues ... but thank goodness I found this forum while I was dealing with it all! Finding all of you was truly a blessing for me!:)

Today's numbers ... from Ben's kit!

pH 7.7
Cl - 9
CC - 0
TC - 9

tot alk - 160
cal hard - 500 (vinlyl pool)
CYA - 50
Temp - 84

Are these numbers okay until I get my pump back? Is the alk too high?

Thanks!

dawndenise
07-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Debbie - I'd be happy with those results...:) Glad to see you back working with Ben's kit. FC looks good for your CYA, just keep monitoring it (the FC)and keeping it in line.

Not sure if the alk # is of any concern right now. While 80-120 is a range to shoot for, I don't think 160 will cause your pool to fall off the face of the earth:D . Hopefully, one of the more experienced members will weigh in on the alkalinity reading for you.

In the meantime, go swimming!

aylad
07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Your alk is a little high--normally in a vinyl pool I'd say not to be too concerned about it, but with a high calcium level, you're going to have to be careful to keep your pH down to keep the calcium from milking up your pool. For now, leave it alone--but if you start having cloudiness problems, after drain/refilling to lower your calcium, your alk would be the next thing to adjust. I wouldn't use any cal-hypo to chlorinate with--you don't want your Calcium any higher!

Janet

debs_pool
07-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Your alk is a little high--normally in a vinyl pool I'd say not to be too concerned about it, but with a high calcium level, you're going to have to be careful to keep your pH down to keep the calcium from milking up your pool. For now, leave it alone--but if you start having cloudiness problems, after drain/refilling to lower your calcium, your alk would be the next thing to adjust. I wouldn't use any cal-hypo to chlorinate with--you don't want your Calcium any higher!

Janet

YEAH! Pool motor and shaft fixed! Cost $$$ NOT YEAH! Anway, I guess I need to work on the next step. Should I post numbers tomorrow morning and go from there?

How do I lower CA?

Drain/Refill - ??? I hope I do NOT have to do this! VINYL POOL ...
thanks for all your help!

CToon
07-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Deb,

If the calcium got that high from using calcium hypochlorite in the pool , the easiest way to deal with it , is drain/ refill . And not use cal-hypo anymore ;)

If its because you have really hard water with a high mineral count ( well water maybe ) you might need to look into a chemical solution. Since I have no experience with those , I cant comment but Im sure someone will be able to