PDA

View Full Version : How often to shock?

errodr27
07-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Hello,

I have a 20x40 IG vinyl pool. I have been shocking weekly using 3lbs. of power powder plus.

Is this excessive? How often should I shock the pool?

Thanks...

sevver
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I rarely shock my pool, I just keep the chlorine levels where they should be, after a heavy load of people in the pool I will shock, but I only put in about two to three times what I normally do to mantain.

debs_pool
07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Hello,

I have a 20x40 IG vinyl pool. I have been shocking weekly using 3lbs. of power powder plus.

Is this excessive? How often should I shock the pool?

Thanks...

I'm pretty new to this forum myself -- these people have helped me out greatly -- so I'm trying to help "pay forward" -- here are some tips that might be helpful for you:

#1 - Read the "stickies" at the top of the forums. I've copied [B]Ben's Best Guess Chart[B] for you below-- hope that helps.

#2 - Get a DROP-BASED kit (or order Ben's kit -- it's great -- site may be down right now so you'll have to check) and then POST SOME NUMBERS:

FC -
CC-
TC-
pH -
Total Alk -
CYA -
Cal -
Salt-

If you post your numbers, you'll probably get a lot more responses. I think there's also a sticky titled: Beginner's Guide to Pool Chemistry Needs. (If you're like me -- I have to read and RE-read everything! LOL)

Happy swimming!
Exclamation Best Guess CYA chart
Ben's 'best guess' FC/Stabilizer table for algae free operation of OUTDOOR pools -- as of July 2003 --

Use the info in this chart to help you figure out what levels of chlorine you need to maintain in your pool based on the amount of CYA (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) that you have in your pool. (FC = free chlorine)

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

waterbear
07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
If you have a good test kit that uses FAS-DPD testing for FC and CC it is easy to determine how often to shock. Shock whenever the CC is .5 ppm or above.

KurtV
07-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I follow the advice that Watebear has given you to only shock when you have combined chlorine over 0.5 ppm. Many others, including me, have given the same advice. However, Ben, the proprietor here, has advised on his PoolSolutions website that you should shock weekly, after a heavy bather load, after a known "fecal incident", and, if I recall correctly, after a heavy rainstorm. I think that the basis for his shock weekly recommendation is that it's just easier and safer to do it that way. If you're diligent about testing and maintaining adequate free chlorine you can probably do without it, but...

Poolsolutions seems to be down now so I can't find that article.

Cheers,
k

Gracy101
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Kurt - I've kept my numbers pretty steady but I've wondered about this since I have alot of small children in 2-3 times a week, some babies. We also get alot of rain this time of year in S. Florida. Is there such a thing as shocking too much?

KurtV
07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Kurt - I've kept my numbers pretty steady but I've wondered about this since I have alot of small children in 2-3 times a week, some babies. We also get alot of rain this time of year in S. Florida. Is there such a thing as shocking too much?
Other than the cost, I don't think so.
Best of luck

aylad
07-21-2006, 05:52 PM
You can't shock too much--and I'd rather shock excessively than not enough....

Janet