PDA

View Full Version : Pucks to be used only as a stabilizer?

JohnnyP
07-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Question :If the chlorine pucks have the stabilizer already in them,can you not use them as a stabilizer and use bleach as the chlorine source.(keep enough of a puck in the pool to keep your CYA stabilized at times during the week.Example, let the pucks float aound Wed and Sat.Would that keep enough stabilizer in the pool to keep the chlorine from dissipating so fast?.Any suggestions on other ways to keep stabilizer in the pool would be appreaciated.

Thanks again

tenax
07-19-2006, 03:42 PM
i've recently gone the route of adding cya and once it's done, it's really not a big deal (and even doing that is minor task) i've found that pucks don't seem to do a heck of a lot to stabilize the chlorine..even the expensive bioguard sticks which are supposed to last longer..they do, but they don't do a very good job of increasing the chlorine.

signed..

newly converted "puck hater"

azimmer1
07-19-2006, 03:50 PM
The problem with that is there isn't much stabilizer in the TriChlor pucks, but if it is your only source of chlorine, CYA levels will climb over time and be too high. That is the biggest problem with stablilized chlorine. Yes you can use trichlor to raise CYA. If you need to raise you CYA a lot it would take way too much trichlor. (too much chlorine) Also once you have stabilizer in your pool it doesn't change that much. Only washout tends to lower it. It shouldn't be that you need to adjust the CYA frequently.

Personally I keep my CYA around 20. and use bleach as my source of Cl. I can get away with low CYA levels because my pool is covered when not in use. If my CYA drops a bit I do add a bit of Dichlor as my chlorine until the CYA is where I want it. I only use it because I still have a bucket of it.

aylad
07-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Once your stabilizer is in the pool, it's not going to decrease, so if you're going to use the pucks, use them until the CYA is where you want it to be, then stop using them and switch to bleach (or cal-hypo, depending on your calcium level).

Janet