PDA

View Full Version : Baquacil Conversion to Chlorine

texashornsbys
07-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Help! Please....I've started the conversion process to chlorine. I have an ag 18X48" vinyl which holds 7647 gallons. I've added 12 lbs. of non-chlorine shock to break down the Baq; however I'm getting strange readings from the pool stores. They tell me the baquacil sanitizer is 0, ph is normal, but the shock/oxidizer (which I haven't added in almost 2 months) is still at about
111. All the manager at the store would say is "Keep adding and wait". What kind of reaction would I get if I went ahead and chlorine shocked it and added chlorine tablet? Also, would I be able to clear the mess up easily afterwards?

DH

waterbear
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
What type of non chlorine shock are you using? If you are using sodium percarbonate it will break down into H2O2 in the water and will show on the oxidizer test.

texashornsbys
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
The active ingredient stated on the package says "Potassium peroxymonosulfate"...any help?

waterbear
07-19-2006, 05:04 PM
I do know that MPS (potassium monopersulfate) will cause interferance in testing chlorine levels. It might also cause interference in testing the biguinide oxidizer levels. Not really sure. Your best bet is to use chlorine (and a lot of it) to oxidize the biguinide. (And have the pool store test your chlorine levels...not biguinide levels and H2O2 levels....not important once you start the conversion.) The conversion will be complete when the pool clears (after going through some disgusting color changes) and the chlorine is holding.

texashornsbys
07-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Question: I've started dumping bleach as it's cheaper...no more surface scum...water looks like lime gatorade (saw that description somewhere)...I've tested chlorine and it seems to be holding longer...any idea...is the light at the end of the tunnel for me yet?

Watermom
07-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Keep hammering it with bleach. It will clear. Read some of the other threads on conversions. Lots of success stories.