PDA

View Full Version : Bleach In Skimmer

jrv331
07-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I have a cartridge filter and want to know if adding bleach through the skimmer will damage the cartridge? Is it more effective to add the bleach directly to the pool?
Thanks
John

chem geek
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
I would just put the liquid chlorine (bleach) directly into the pool, at the deep end near a return jet. Is there a particular reason you wanted to put it into the skimmer? See my post
Party Blue (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=27109#post27109)
where I did an experiment that showed the spreading of chlorine throughout the pool would probably be very fast. If you were worried about that, you could always add some (say, one-third) directly to the shallow end as well.

Richard

jrv331
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
My pool is all the same depth. Some here say they add their bleach through the skimmer, I was just wondering if it could cause damage to a cartridge filter.
Thanks
John

DavidD
07-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Like Richard, I also add it directly to my pool, in front of returns. I usually add a half gallon +/- at a time and divide that by three, 1/3 for each return I have. Now Richards experiment with the blue stuff got me thinking (always a dangerous thing) so I will probably start to add 2/3 at the deep end return and the rest at the two returns in the shallow end. To be honest, I don't think it really matters one one or the other. I have read excellent arguments for adding bleach both ways. It shouldn't hurt your filter if you decide to add directly to the skimmer.

Dave