PDA

View Full Version : Solar Cover / Temp / Bleach

lolop
07-19-2006, 09:36 AM
What effect does the solar cover & temp have on bleach?

I've noticed that the pool temp is jumping into mid 90's that I'm using much more bleach than normal due to day time loss (holds FC overnight) air temp getting in the 90's (CYA30 FC 3-6 alk 90 ph 7.5 Cal 200 water is crystal clear IG Vinyl 30K gallon in PA).

I've notice the sun will burn off the bleach quickly without the solar cover. (Recently shocked to 15ppm to clear cloudy water after 4 days camping - it will hold over night but will burn down to 8 - consistent over a couple days (i.e hold at night - drop in day.) Pool was clear w/i 1 day and I maintaind SL for a few more and added Poly after it cleared.

I've noticed that if you leave the cover on for a few days without sun it may start to get slightly cloudy even if you are maintian FC levels.

I'm looking for the best strategy for solar cover and maintaining bleach (preventing algae) while on vacation. (Neighbor will add bleach every evening for 3ppm and run filter 24x7 but no testing).

Should I leave solar cover on or off (not looking to heat or save heat) - just maintain FC and prevent algae). Should I only leave half on ( I have an L shaped pool that require two covers -- I can only cover 1 section w/o problem).

Thanks in advance-- this forum advise is great.

tenax
07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
if not concerned about saving the heat, etc and don't want the neighbor to muck with or worry about the cover, i'd leave it off. i have the same scenario coming up next week and that's what i'm going to do..the pool will be on a timer, but i think i'm asking for algae problems away from the pool for a week with the cover off. it is a hothouse under mine and i take it off for 4 hours a day or so generally (not at night though when most evaporation occurs (evening until about 6am in our area of canada..about montana type weather) and i make sure before i go on vacation my stabilizer is up to the max level i'm comfortable with and give it a decent does of chlorine just before i go. i find the stabilizer holds the level pretty firm for about 4 days with 1/2 a jug and 50 ppm of stabilizer

halds
07-19-2006, 12:49 PM
I leave our solar cover on when we are not using the pool, and always have crystal clear water. In fact an interesting phenoemeon occurs when the you first take off the cover in full sun, the water actually refracts the light into thousands of crystal shaped 'sparkles' that make a really impressive sight! This can only happen if the water is free of impurities.

I have found the opaque cover really increases stability of Cl level and dramatically reduces amount of bleach used over time. It also helps to keep dirt/debris out of the water. You would be surprised the amount of dirt that settles on the top of the cover in a week.

I know most folks recomemnd taking the cover off during the day, but Im sold on leaving it on. Of course if you use the pool a lot, then it is not as practical.

Hal

syrjohn
07-19-2006, 04:05 PM
i find the stabilizer holds the level pretty firm for about 4 days with 1/2 a jug and 50 ppm of stabilizer

I don't understand this comment. I was under the impression that once the stabilizer was there, IT WAS THERE. There is no way to get rid of it.

John

Watermom
07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I think he means holds the "chlorine level" pretty firm, not the stabilizer level.

Macrosill
07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
I know most folks recomemnd taking the cover off during the day,

Hal
That would defeat the prupose of a SOLAR cover. The name itself implies it should be on during sunlight.

I leave my cover on at all times when I am not using the pool. I only take it off to swim and for routine maintenence. I find it keeps the water warmer, lowers evaporation, keeps debris out of the pool and prevents the chlorine from burning off too fast with a lower cya level.

Brian

tenax
07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=Watermom]I think he means holds the "chlorine level" pretty firm, not the stabilizer level.[/QUOTE

correct, watermom..i noticed that and went to edit and got distracted..thanks for clarifying.

tphaggerty
07-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Brian,

"Solar" cover is a misnomer. Most of the heat savings from a "solar" cover involve stopping evaporation, which sucks heat from water like nothing else. Solar covers do very little to actually add heat to the water. In fact, most of the solar covers that claim they heat the water are clear, they are allowing the sunlight to enter and heat the water directly.

PhantomAndy
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Brian,

"Solar" cover is a misnomer. Most of the heat savings from a "solar" cover involve stopping evaporation, which sucks heat from water like nothing else. Solar covers do very little to actually add heat to the water. In fact, most of the solar covers that claim they heat the water are clear, they are allowing the sunlight to enter and heat the water directly.

This is right on target - a solar cover really should be called "Evaporation Inhibitor" - but hey - it's hard to market something under that name.

Keep your cover on at night, and off when A) When the air temp is above the water temp and/or B) when there is sufficient sunlight hitting the pool.

I have tested many times to see which is better. Everytime, no cover during the day (from noon-sundown) yields much higher temperature rises. Put the cover back on after sundown to retain that heat gain.

On the other side of the coin - keeping the cover on whenever not in use will usually maintain a comforatble swimming temperature for me, and it also does reduce dirt/debri in the pool as well as reduce chlorine usage. My problem with the cover on all the time insects and frogs. They tend to get under the cover around the edges, and of course can't get swept into the skimmer. So when I go to remove the cover to swim, I'm fishing out 2 or 3 dead frogs and hundreds of beetles and other bugs. These insects and frogs also contribute to increased Cl usage for me.

Good luck!