PDA

View Full Version : Frogs ..

xoroniox
04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
its weird the last few weeks 3-4, i have found 1 frog in the pool each week, usually in the skimmer next to the auto pool vacuum hose, just relaxing i chase him out and toss him behind my fence but they keep coming back? is there something i can add to the water to make it unpleasent to them so they wont come back? im thinking maybe raise my bleach and keep it high so they wont want to be near the water? ha weird issue thanks for the help

JohnT
04-11-2006, 05:53 PM
You'll just have dead frogs in the pool then. They are migrating and go to whatever water they find. I'm considering making a small "fence" out of hardware cloth to go under my permanent fence when it's installed this summer. Some days I have 6 or 8 in there. Usually during or after a heavy rain.

Poconos
04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I gave up. Have a nice cool stream, 150' from the pool, and the D*** frogs wind up in the pool. Why any living thing would give up a great bug infested stream for a chlorinated pool is beyond me. But then again, frogs are at the low end of the food chain.
Al

xoroniox
04-11-2006, 06:40 PM
well that makes total sense now that i think of it every time i have found a frog in my pool including this morning has been after rain. interesting though there are no streams or lakes near me. owell i usually just fish them out and toss them over my fence, but like you say if i raise my chlorine ill just have dead frogs :D

another thing i wonder how they get inside my fences, i have a 6foot wood fence with a 7foot concrete fence behind that, dont ask old owners anyway food for thought, ill deal with the frogs as long as my leaks and algae clear up LOL ... thanks every for the help

littleHeidi
04-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Last year we had frogs the size of dinner plates in our pool every day!! Not just one or two but half a dozen at a time!! They were the most hideous shade of neon green you have ever seen!! We called them mutants. My husband had to make me "wand" long enough to pull the skimmer box cover off so I wouldn't have to get to close to it. I opened it last year and one those **** things was in the skimmer and I thought I'd pee in my pants!!! Like you, there is a giant pond at my next door neighbors' house but for some reason the idiots would rather come up here to the chlorine.:rolleyes:

aylad
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
I have an 1100 gallon koi pond 4 feet from the ladder my frogs use to get out of my pool....but they prefer the pool and won't get into the pond. I gave up and just was happy with the fact that I don't have a bug/mosquito problem in the back yard.........

Janet

MarkC
04-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Leave a small foam pool float like a flat kick board in the pool. The frogs will climb up on that and when its near the edge of the pool they can jump out. I rarely find them in the skimmer now that I do that.

kaybinster
04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I get these every year when I first open the pool. I think some are actually in the pool from the winter. It is strange too, as someone else has, I have a stream about 50' from my pool yet the frogs are in the pool. What I find even stranger is they seem to thrive in the skimmers. I think the attraction is the skimmers usually have bugs in them so there is lots of food from the frogs. I always thought frogs were very sensitive to chemicals and died very easily which is why environmentalists are so concerned about them. But when I shock the pool the frogs could care less. Usually they leave after a few weeks.

The critter that really surprises me is the few crayfish we get every once in a while. Guess they walk their way there from the stream.

fofa
04-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Last year we had frogs the size of dinner plates in our pool every day!! Not just one or two but half a dozen at a time!!
Really? Just a couple days and you had a meal!

littleHeidi
04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Heh Heh;) !!

cgc2
04-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Maybe a couple of Gopher Snakes ?
Or are they strickly Gopher eaters ?

Have the same problem...sucks, especially since if you go on vacation and they make it to the skimmer...gross smell and anything else you can think of.

KesLongwood
06-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I live in Acworth GA. I have a 33" Round with a deck around it fully, and a 7ft fence all around with latace on the top 2 feet, and full plank boards on the bottom 5 feet, and yet some how THE FREAKIN BUGGERS GET IN MY POOL!!! Not one, not 2, not 6, DOZENS. The most I have counted at once (I.E. Thrown over the fence) was 23. Little gray frogay about the size of a SoBe Cap, or a Med Bottle Cap from Kroger or Walgreens. They are driving me nutz. Even right now, they won't shut THE HELL UP!!! And we're no where near any major streams or lakes. Lot of Pools in the Subdivison, and 2 Storm Drain Lakes at the entrance of the subdivison which is about .7 miles away. I swear, if someone figures out away to repell frogs, they'd make a fortune if they market it.

aylad
06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
King snakes!!!

KesLongwood
06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, I just found out some really crappy news. It appears that tree frogs are a natural repelent for mosquitoes. BAH!!! So now it seems that if ya get rid of the little buggers, then even small, more annoying little buggers will come... I swear, I'm just gonne have the entire 500 SQFT area screened in all around. LoL :D

kathgilliam
07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
We have a giant bullfrog who seems to like to play with us. We swim a lot at night, and he jumps in while we're playing diving games and swims around. If he doesn't come around, we start worrying that he's found new playmates.

simsjim
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
reminds me of a song....

Jeremiah was a bullfrog,
he was good friend of mine.
I never understood a single word he said but I helped him drink his wine.
He always had some mighty fine wine.

Sing it
Joy to theworld...
all the boys and girls now ,
joy to the fishies in the deep blue sea
and joy to you and me.

and so on........

:D

bkny1055
08-09-2006, 08:42 PM
I am so glad i am not the only one with this FROG issue
They are in the Pool in the Grass by the pool on my front lawn

Its like they are telling every FROG in the neighborhood hey look WATER over here WATER

LOL..i just toss them but they come back .

Maybe with the CL at 20 will keep them out of my pool?

aylad
08-10-2006, 08:04 AM
I doubt it--they don't seem to mind!

Janet

VOLDADDY
08-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Same problem here. In the spring, before we opened the pool, we had about 20 on our winter cover, making baby frogs, kind of like a Woodstock Lovefest for frogs. Now, we have teeny frogs, some about the size of a dime, everywhere. Even though they are small, they are very L O U D! One positive...in a few years, we will have a buffet of frog legs for dinner. The kids have fun with them, and we don't seem to have as many mosquitos around this year, so I guess it could be worse.

Simmons99
08-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I swear, I'm just gonne have the entire 500 SQFT area screened in all around. LoL :D

That's what we do down here!:D

bkny1055
08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I doubt it--they don't seem to mind!

Janet
Well you are right they are in there again.Dame Frogs
:D

edarling
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Man, I have been having frog problems too. I've always had frogs - we live 1/4 mile from a lake - but never as bad as this week!

I had a dozen on Monday, so I played my fun game of froggie lacross (use the leaf skimmer to catch them, and toss as far as possible!). I really super-shocked the pool Monday night, hoping to kill any eggs around, and used the Aquabot to clean. The pool felt better (I have been bad about keeping up the CL), but I found a dozen dead frogs in the skimmer basket - at least easier to dump!

I've heard rubber snakes scare them off. Anyone tried this?

- betty

Jeffski
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
When we leave for multiple days the cover stays on and I turn the skimmer off. There will be a couple dead frogs under the cover but not in the skimmer basket, and most climb on the cover and jump out.

I get about four frogs a week, two moles a month, and one turtle a summer. The kids love catching them.

gverntz3
08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
A few times the sea gulls drop a blue claw crab into the pool....

aylad
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
A few times the sea gulls drop a blue claw crab into the pool....

LOL, I bet that's fun....

Janet

fishandfly
05-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I found the secret to keeping frogs out of the pool!

I usually have a 10 mile radius worth of frogs in my pool every night. I swear they send out fliers for the party.

About 6 months ago my neighbor across the street foreclosed on his house and moved out. The pool in the back has turned into the nastiest looking pond I've seen, but the frogs have never looked back :)