PDA

View Full Version : reflective cover to keep pool cool???

bparks
07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Wondering if anyone has tried using a white or reflective pool cover to keep their pool cooler, and how it worked out. I'd like to add a fountain, as that seemed to work well on our old above ground, but our inground doesn't lend itself to a fountain. The two return jets have no threads, the return for the booster pump does, but I can't see running the booster pump all the time since it's so much louder.

The only other idea I have to try and keep my water out of the 90's is a reflective cover to reduce heat gain during the day. I think it might work since our pool is rather deep, avg depth is probably 6 feet. Anyone tried this, or have thoughts???

Tredge
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
As 70% of heat loss is due to evaporation......this would probably not help you.

Other than a fountain, somehow shading the pool to prevent the sun heating it while still allowing evaporation would be your best option.

Large amounts of Dry Ice might be entertaining also :)

GraceByDesign
07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Edit:
I read your post too quickly... good luck!

bparks
07-18-2006, 06:56 PM
As 70% of heat loss is due to evaporation......this would probably not help you.

Other than a fountain, somehow shading the pool to prevent the sun heating it while still allowing evaporation would be your best option.

Large amounts of Dry Ice might be entertaining also :)

Thought about the dry ice, that would be really fun! I was thinking a little about that tyvek house wrap stuff, and some PVC pipe to keep it off the water. Thinking it would offer shade + reflect light since it's white. And if i kept it up off the water I'd still get evaporation, right?

Maybe my time would be better spent figuring out how to mount a fountain to my pvc returns that lack threads...