PDA

View Full Version : Timing the pump run cycle

kevincad
04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Seems as though last year I read here something about the run times for the pump/filter. I think it was 4 hours on, eight off? Does this sound correct to anybody? I think the theory behind it was that way the pump would run 8 hours per day, but wouldn't be seperated by 16 hours of off time? Thanks to any and all that can answer this!

mas985
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Your run time should be dependent on how long it takes to turnover the water in your pool. 1-2 turnovers per day is usually sufficient for most pools during the swim season. However, this on time will not be the same for everyone. Turnover depends on your pool volume, pumbling head loss and pump curve.

I have a turnover of 4 hours so during the season, I run the pump 4 hours most of the time but go to 6 hours during the hotest months.

Off season you can lower the run time based upon the temp of the water. I got mine down to 2 hours per day when the water was < 60 degrees and never had a problem.

As for spacing out the run time, this may be a good idea for chlorine distribution but those will solar will want to take advantage of the sun. So in short it really depends on your individual situation. Be careful of rules of thumb.

kevincad
04-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Your run time should be dependent on how long it takes to turnover the water in your pool. 1-2 turnovers per day is usually sufficient for most pools during the swim season. However, this on time will not be the same for everyone. Turnover depends on your pool volume, pumbling head loss and pump curve.

I have a turnover of 4 hours so during the season, I run the pump 4 hours most of the time but go to 6 hours during the hotest months.

Off season you can lower the run time based upon the temp of the water. I got mine down to 2 hours per day when the water was < 60 degrees and never had a problem.

As for spacing out the run time, this may be a good idea for chlorine distribution but those will solar will want to take advantage of the sun. So in short it really depends on your individual situation. Be careful of rules of thumb.
I believe it was Ben himself that the post I'm talking about came from. It had to do not only with turnover time, but also not having to long of an idle time, hence spacing those intervals out. Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of getting solar panels, so that will change when the pump in on also!

mas985
04-11-2006, 06:32 PM
This may be what you are refering to:

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/avoiding_algae.html

Yes it is ideal if you can run in two cycles although not always necessary.