PDA

View Full Version : Installing tile on fiberglass pool

blue_steel
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Anyone ever install tiles on fiberglass pools? I understand it isn't too difficult when you use the smaller tiles that are attached together on a flexible backing.
Do the tiles attach to the fiberglass with RTV, or is there a better adhesive?
Also, can anyone provide me with pool tile suppliers, or can I go to the local tile store?
Thanks.

duraleigh
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Not sure what RTV is.

Professionally installed ceramic on fibreglas is done with epoxy thinset and epoxy grout........not for the faint-hearted.

It's not technically difficult, but the epoxy is not user friendly.

mbar
07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I am looking into putting tile on my fiberglass pool too. Did a lot of research on it last year - I can't find anyone here willing to do it yet, and I am afraid to try it myself. Here is a link to a place that has do it yourself instructions:

http://www.flextile.com/materials.htm

Let me know how you make out, and how hard it is.

blue_steel
07-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Sorry.... RTV = room temperature vulcanizing, aka silicone.
Our mason said the tiles are attached with RTV/Silicone and then grout is used to fill in the spaces between the tiles.

keithw
07-25-2006, 08:46 AM
I have posed this question myself recently. I've seen a fiberglass pool with tiling and it appeared to have been done completely in silicon grout. Someone gave me this link to a site that have directions and kits for installing tile.

http://www.fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com/

rdkeeler
08-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I recently ordered adhesive to replace some tiles that had fallen off my fiberglass pool from fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com. The adhesive they sent me was just a silicone sealant made by DOW. It said right on the back that it was not recommended for underwater use. They were unresponsive when I emailed them about it.

I have found a couple of products that seem to be specifically made for this application. One is made by Novagard and the other by Boss.