PDA

View Full Version : New pool setup

kaydee
04-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I am a new pool owner and was wondering if anyone has set their above ground pool up on a concrete pad? I am going to use a happy bottom pool pad and styrofoam coving. Do I still need to put 2 inches of sand on the concrete before installing the liner? Also does the coving go on top of the 2 inches of sand or do you put the coving down and then add the sand?

CarlD
04-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi KayDee:

I cannot imagine needing the sand if you have a Happy Bottom. I believe, if you get a really smooth, polished finish on the concrete, you many not even need the Happy Bottom--depending on the pool--but I would guess it's a good idea to have one anyway. I know that with Splash pools you probably don't need one, and with EasySet donuts, their tarp is sufficient protection.

The pool cove at the bottom goes on top of the sand--or happy bottom. If you don't use the cove, then traditionally, the cove was built of sand.

hope this helps.

kaydee
04-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Thanks Carl, that was what I was kind of thinking but wanted to check for sure. I am sure glad my wife stumbled on to this site. It is a great asset to all pool owners!! Keep up all the good work everyone.

hrsdennis
04-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Kaydee, definately no sand. The pool cove goes directly on the concrete and the happy bottom goes up the pool cove by a couple of inches. Duct tape everything into place. Like everything else in this world, duct tape holds it all together.

Best of luck, Dennis