PDA

View Full Version : What to do before going away?

prh129
04-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Let's say that I get my pool (24' AG) balanced then later in the summer I go away for a week. What's the best way to deal with water treatment during the time away? Obviously I could use a puck which will raise CYA so the question in that regard is should I start CYA levels on the lower side (30 to 40 ppm) to allow some room for it to go up later on or is one puck for a week not going to make much difference?

Also are there other options (besides having a neighbor add chemicals).

Thanks

Peter

CarlD
04-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I simply ask the house-sitter to add 1/2 gallon of bleach every other day. I tell them to pour it into the skimmer while it's running. That's it! And I'm good for up to 2 weeks.

I've tried the CYA routine--the CYA went to 60ppm, the pH went below 6.8 and I had to desperately pour in 2 boxes of Borax as soon as I got home.

You could try Cal-Hypo capsules--if you can find the plastic-wrapped ones you can drop 2 or 3 in your skimmer and be fine. Or, if you are stuck with the newer un-wrapped ones, you can put them in a NEW floater (can't have Tri-Chlor in it) and set it at the lowest setting--and hope. I suppose you could try putting the new Cal-hypo tabs in something like panty-hose to keep it from clogging the floater or spilling on the pool floor. But I don't know if Cal-Hypo will dissolve the panty hose or not....If it won't you are OK.

JerryZ
04-12-2006, 10:09 PM
When I leave for a week, I increase the Cl with bleach up to 15-20 ppm, get it circulated and turn the pump off. I may put a floater in because I lose about 3ppm per day to sunlight.

aylad
04-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Let's say that I get my pool (24' AG) balanced then later in the summer I go away for a week. What's the best way to deal with water treatment during the time away? Obviously I could use a puck which will raise CYA so the question in that regard is should I start CYA levels on the lower side (30 to 40 ppm) to allow some room for it to go up later on or is one puck for a week not going to make much difference?

Also are there other options (besides having a neighbor add chemicals).

Thanks

Peter
Using one puck over a week's time isn't going to affect your CYA significantly....but keep in mind that it very well may drop your pH.

Janet