PDA

View Full Version : Do I have metal problems?

sw_stupid
07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Okay, this will be lengthy but I am trying to get good enough at this that I don’t have to bother everyone on here as much! I THINK I must have iron in my water. The brownish stuff that usually accumulates does so directly under the jets (especially the one closest to the pump.) It is very fine – like sediment. If I brush my hand over it, it goes away, like powder. Again, I think this is sediment and I’m not real sure what to do about it. The Polaris doesn’t seem to get it and neither does the filter. Anyway I think there is iron in the water too because my vinyl steps and the skimmer boxes and even the jets have a brown “haze” on them. Sometimes if I rub them pretty hard, they will get better, but never go away. I don’t notice it on my liner though. It really only seems to happen on vertical surfaces (like the face of the steps – not the flat surface). Even when the water is crystal clear – the haze is still there. The water is terrible right now, but I think that is from large amounts of sediment. That has nothing to do with the brown haze or stain because it’s always there. Vital signs are decent:
FC : 8.5 (due to CYA and thought the dark water was from algae)
CC: .5 (maybe partially because of the sediment)
TA and CH : 90 and 120 (don’t remember which was which)
CYA: 55-60
pH : hopefully down to 7.6 (always runs high due to SWG)
Salt: 3500
Few Questions:
1. Does this sound like iron? (not very confident in local pool store)
2. Is it normal to only see it on the steps, etc. or is it just because they’re white?
3. Should I get some Vit C on the way?
4. Do I need to always add sequestering agent now if I have metal (what is it anyway)?
5. Any suggestions on sediment?
Thanks for reading,
Brad

sw_stupid
07-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, I had the pool store check for Iron. It showed none so I don't know whether to believe it or not. I went ahead and bought some Metal Magic. Will it hurt to go ahead and put this in anyway? I just don't know if the brown is organic or not. I guess I need to try the Vitamin C scrub.

Simmons99
07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
You said it felt like sediment - could it be sand or DE from your filter?

sw_stupid
07-17-2006, 04:13 PM
I guess it could be, but how do you know? When I went to the pool store at lunch to have the water tested for iron, she said it is time to change the sand in the filter. (she said every 2-3 years) Oh no!!!

sw_stupid
07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, I did the Vitamin C test on my steps. I definitely took the stain away. This means it's metal, right (pool store said it didn't have any)? I added a bottle of Metal Magic and brought my pH down to 7.2. Is it possible that the stains will lift just by adding that? I still have a lot of "stuff" on the bottom of the pool. I think they are two different problems. Can I bring the CL up to shock without affecting the sequesterer? I've read where high CL can make the metals fall out of the water. I guess I need to clear up the water before I address the metals? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad

mbar
07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
As long as you put enough sequestering agent in the water, and bring your ph down to 7 - 7.2, you should not get any more staining out of the water. It is important to put in enough sequesterant - more than what it says on the bottle, according to the amount of water in the pool. I think just by using enough sequesterant and lowering the ph, it should take the stains away, since there isn't any on the vinyl liner. After you see the stains lighten, I would take the chlorine up to shock, very slowly, about 2 ppms at a time. The chlorine should help break the "stuff" down, so it can filter out. You can also put a trichlor puck in the skimmer basket if you have a sand or DE filter. Another good idea is to get a skimmer sock, or cut the leg off pantyhose or tights - put the foot in the basket and leg around the basket. It will help to catch the really fine sediment. Hope this helps, keep us informed.

waterbear
07-18-2006, 05:27 PM
There is a reason the pool store did not find metals in your water. It has already stained and precipitated out as sediment. Get as much of the sediment out of the pool before treating the stains in case it is iron oxide otherwise it will redissolve in the water.

sw_stupid
07-18-2006, 05:33 PM
That makes sense. I guess I could have them check my fill water, but I know it's metallic b/c the Vit C test. Anyway, I guess I will try and clear up the water (which now looks like a pond) first and then address my stains. Could the pool store lady be right? - change my sand every 2-3 years?. It just seems like the sand would continue to filter if you keep it backwashed.
Thanks again to the forum.

mbar
07-18-2006, 06:49 PM
You don't need to change your sand. The only reason to change sand is if it isn't filtering - because it is gummed up. To clear your water, you will need to put in sequestering agent - more is better than not enough, keep your ph at 7.0, raise your chlorine to shock levels according to the "best guess chart", run your filter 24/7 - backwash and brush, you can also put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket to help catch small particles - if you still have sediment in the water you may want to vacuum to waste.

GraceByDesign
07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
OK, SW Stupid,

I'm sorry but I just have to take a moment to share...

I looked at the title of this thread and read "Do I have mental problems?" :eek: and then I read your screen name and thought "I've got to see what this 'Stupid' guy is asking about!" It was not until I opened the thread, started reading, and realized I had read it before that I caught my error!

Perhaps I am the one with the mental problems! :rolleyes:
Thanks for providing me with a laugh this evening! :D

waterbear
07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
That makes sense. I guess I could have them check my fill water, but I know it's metallic b/c the Vit C test. Anyway, I guess I will try and clear up the water (which now looks like a pond) first and then address my stains. Could the pool store lady be right? - change my sand every 2-3 years?. It just seems like the sand would continue to filter if you keep it backwashed.
Thanks again to the forum. As far as changing the sand...it is possible that metals have deposited on the sand as 'stain'. If they have they can redissolve in the water given the right conditions. I would inspect the sand and look for evidence of staining. If there is a lot of it I would change the sand..otherwise I wouldn't. A commercial sand cleaner might also be an option to remove the metal stain from the sand if it is present. IF the metal has stained the filter material it is a good thing...it mean that you can actually remove them from the pool easily! Ideally, you want the metals to stain the filter and not the pool for this reason.