PDA

View Full Version : Loose Coping

sunofthebeach
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I have a couple of loose coping blocks around my pool. The coping is flagstone. My plan is to chip out the old morter/cement and just reset them.

What exacty do I use to reset the coping (morter/cement)?
Can I get it at Home Depot?

dep78737
04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Pros may have better advice, but I would use modified thinset mortar like is used for tile underneath the stones. HD or any others will carry it in their tile section, not with the cement.

Matching the mortar between the stones will be more of a challenge if you chip that out. The original was probably mixed on site. Could have been grey or white cement plus sand and maybe some tint. Maybe try buying sanded grout from the tile section again that matches the existing mortar.

duraleigh
04-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi,

"Dep" is probably correct with thinset (modified).

If that flagstone is the least irregular on the bottom you may need a little thicker than normal "adhesive". Home depot sells that ,too, and refers to it as a "marble" product. It'll be right beside the modified thin set and costs more money. You'll need a 1/2" x 1/2" notched trowel to put it down instead of the normal 3/8" or 1/4" for thin set.

I would go to Johnbridge.com and post your question on that forum...It is the best website on the net for any tile question. They'll even walk you through the whole installation if you'll provide them what they need to know.:)

As "dep" said, matching the mortar will be what my Mom used to call a "boogerbear"!!!

Dave S.