PDA

View Full Version : goggles and masks...

leejp
07-16-2006, 11:15 PM
I've been buying the el-cheapo gogles at season's end from Target and K-mart and serves me right... almost every one are leaking even after just a few times of use. I can stop some of them from leaking if I tighten them till it hurts.

I'm not a lap swimmer so I don't need a gazillion $$$ mask. But I do want good comfortable "leisure" swim masks for general water play. As I know nothing about the subject and I don't see an appropriate subject so I'm posting the question here. I'd like to get some for the kids too. Also... masks? or goggles?

KirstenHW
07-16-2006, 11:40 PM
I bought a nice set of Speedo goggles from Campmor in Paramus NJ. They were less than $30 - and after buying El Cheapos for years, the difference in the fit and finish is like night and day - they even came with an extra strap and three sets of nose bridges.

I got them in person at their store, but they have a great web site and mail order catalog as well. Their prices are excellent. Their sales are outrageous. Before we went to Maui last year I bought a complete dry snorkel/fins/glass mask kit in a bag there for about $60. In Hawaii, the snorkel alone was going for almost that. It was worth packing an extra duffel full of gear.
Here's the Campmor web site:

www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)

And if I am not mistaken, they have an amazing exchange/return policy. I bought a pair of Keen sandals there for the same trip and they told me they had a one year return policy.

Simmons99
07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Another goggle question - which one should you use with contacts. I am scared to death to use goggles (rely on them) and just don't open my eyes under water (or my contacts will come out in the pool water).

Is there a specific model that is really reliable for contact lens wearers?

I guess I could take them out - but then I might as well be close my eyes b/c I won't be able to see anything without them in!

Dr. Spike
07-19-2006, 08:50 PM
I wear contacts. So far I have had no problems with any of the goggles I have used. All have been cheap goggles too. I use the kind with the soft clear rubber seal not the foam rubber looking seal. They seem to let less water in.

sevver
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
I don't really use goggles, but I have kids that do, and the cheap ones are not the way to go. have a sister in law who is on a swim team, and she uses the speedo ones, and I like the look of them, they seem to be made well.

Dr. Spike
07-19-2006, 09:44 PM
I should really try some better goggles someday. :)

I am blind without my contacts, so I hate swimming without goggles.

All I can say about all the cheap ones I have had, is that I have not lost any contacts because of them.

They do have their downsides though. For instance, they don't last long, they are uncomfortable, and they don't last long. ;)

KirstenHW
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't wear contacts, so I can't speak to that. I would think that a mask might be more accommodating for contacts. I prefer them to goggles myself.

leejp
07-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I bought an Aqua Sphere Seal Kids for my son tonight (expensive for kid's masks at $20). Tomorrow it'll be returned. The Seal does not seal very well across the bridge of his nose. THe straps have to be painfully tight to eliminate any visible gaps.

I do like the design and am considering the purchase of the adult version for myself. Perhaps it's because my Son's got a flatter bridge or he's too young (5yrs old).

LBD
07-20-2006, 04:25 PM
TYR "Youth" works very well for kids and are no more than $10.

Pool_Mike
09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I got some speedo ones. There @ academy for less then 10.00.

I tried Speedo, TYR and NIKE (Nike makes goggles?)

But when I tried alll of them the Speedos felt so nice and seem I can see more with them.

Since I love to go all the way to the bottom of our pool (8 feet), it just makes it more fun.

What really honetly helps me out a lot also is the speedo nose plug. I can hold my breath underwater allot longer now. At least by 30%.

When you guys mean Cheapo goggles, what brand are you speaking of?
Or do you mean just in price??

My son has a set of DOLPHINO goggles they leak a little and fog really bad after about 3 dips in and out from under the water. My speedos are anti-fog and as of yet leaks what-so-ever.

Overall I am happy w/ my $9.00 speedo goggle purchase. It does make a world of difference when going down under the water.

Spensar
09-14-2006, 10:27 AM
To buy swimming goggles I have to try a lot of different ones on that fit my face correctly. I find it's more about the shape and pressure points to get a pair that seals and is comfortable, and there isn't much correlation with price. Masks aren't that big a problem but for goggles I would hit a store with a good selection.

RavenNS
09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I prefer masks over goggles; I have slanty eyes ( very asian looking almond shaped) & most goggles just don't fit correctly ; or rather the cheepo ones don't, so I use cheepo masks.

@ Simmons 99 ( or other vision correction people)
If you don't mind spending some cash on goggles or masks, Talk to your eye wear professionals.
Prescription masks & goggles are available... I don't know if many health insurance compnaies would cover this prescription but it is worth investigating.
I had a fabulous pair of prescription goggles many years ago when I was on the swim team.. They were awesome! eventually I changed prescriptions though & was no longer on a swim team so I didn't bother buying new ones; but they were great!

Tip for anti-fogging
SPIT...
most divers know this trick;
simply spit into your mask or goggles.
I don't know why this works ( perhaps chemgeek could explain the scientific principle behind it), but it does work really well...

drumr
09-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Try TJMaxx or Marshalls if you have one in your area. I have found speedo goggles there for around $5. They seem to work well. I found some decent ones on clearance at walmart for around $5 too that I am using now, but I can't remember the brand name right off hand. I have to hide them from my kids because they destroy them;)

divnkd101
09-15-2006, 09:21 AM
LeeJP,

Your thread shows being from upstate NY. I am sure you are close to lakes and what not up there and therefore should be close to some Dive shops (SCUBA). Most of the threads have discussed goggles over masks. If masks are the way you want to go, I would suggest visiting a dive shop. Or, here are some tips to fit yourself with a good sealing mask:
Find the mask that you like and looks like it will fit your face well. Without using the strap, place the mask up against your face (make sure to move hair out of way). Inhale through your nose pulling the mask in towards your face then hold your breath. If you feel the mask pulling away, then you have air leaking in ( Not a good fit mask). Try this on several masks until you find the right one. You will know because that mask won't budge. I have a mask that I have had for the past 8 years for SCUBA diving. It still seals just as well since the first day I bought it. Good luck. :) :)

Simmons99
09-15-2006, 01:15 PM
LeeJP,

... be close to some Dive shops (SCUBA). Most of the threads have discussed goggles over masks. If masks are the way you want to go, I would suggest visiting a dive shop.

Totally agree - DH went to the dive shop down here and got a mask that fits HIM (no one else can wear it) really well - and it wasn't the most expensive - it was actually one of the lower priced ones. He had to try on about 25 until he got one that didn't leak air.