PDA

View Full Version : Help Please !!!!!! New Member

MikeO
07-16-2006, 08:44 AM
I have a 14X30 Viking Fiberglass that holds approx. 12.6K gallons.
There are hundreds of "spider-like" hairline cracks in the gel-coat.
The cracks are not in the structure, only in the gel-coat.
Brownish-green stains have settled in the cracks making them visible, appearing like the pool is cracking in hundreds of places. I was told to lower the PH with muriatic acid, and run the filter 24/7. This has not done anything. I have tried to scrub the stains by hand, but it does little to nothing. I am going crazy here with a $30K pool that has unbelivably clean, clear water-that looks like cr*p with all these stains. WaterBear or someone please help !!!!:confused: :(
Thank You in advance.

mbar
07-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Sounds like you have a copper problem. What chemicals have you used in your pool? If you post a whole set of numbers, FC,CC,TC,PH,ALK,CA,CYA, and tell us what you have used in your pool, we can help you better. I don't understand how you got a bunch of hairline cracks in the pool? Have you contacted the manufacturer? I have a fiberglass pool for 7 years, and the only cracks I have gotten in the gelcoat are on the top lip of the pool. I would contact the pool contractor, because it doesn't sound normal to me. Don't worry, you will be able to get rid of the stains.

MikeO
07-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Thank You Marie for the quick response I will post the numbers I can get with my Biogard 5 in 1 test kit.:)

MikeO
07-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Marie
I just tested everthing I can test.
Water Temp. 92 deg. * PH 6.7 * Total Alk. 180-200 * Total Chlorine .05 * Total Hardness 980-1000. Thats all I can test with my kit. Yesterday morning I put in 1 full gallon of Muriatic Pool Acid, (which brought the PH down from 7.8) and 1 full quart of AquaChem Metal Stain and Scale Out (available at Lowes) and ran the filter straight 24 hrs. Water is crystal clear, except for the stained hairline cracks. Oh by the way I did not mention-I have a cartridge filter, and and chlorine puck auto feeder. Also the water level is automatically kept up to proper levels with softened water. I wish I could post a picture of the bottom of this pool. Thanks Again All !!:confused: :confused:

mbar
07-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Your water levels are way off. I am surprised that you have crystal clear water iwth calcium levels of 980 - 1000, and alkalinity of 180 to 200. Are you sure you have hairline cracks and not some form of scale forming on the surface of the pool? These are what your levels should be:

FC 3-6
CC 0
TC 3-6
PH 7.4 - 7.6
Alk 80-120
Cal 200 - 400 (you only need a small amount of calcium in a fiberglass pool - around 150)
CYA 30 - 50

Test your fill water, and we can help you get your chemicals where they need to be.

I still am confused as to why you would have a bunch of hairline cracks in a brand new pool.