PDA

View Full Version : pressure gauge/motor shutting off

pluck
07-15-2006, 04:45 PM
The pressure gauge usualy reads around 8 or 9.
Today it was reading below 5.
The motor sounds normal and the water seems to be circulating as usaul.
Also,the motor shut off by itself,when i unplug it then plug it back in it trips the safty button on the outlet. I then have to press the reset button,plug the motor back in and it begins pumping again. But as mentioned the pressure is still way below normal. I did a backwash and rinse. problem still exists.
Please advise
Thank you
Pluck

Poolsean
07-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Something stuck on the suction side. If you have an automatic suction side cleaner, take it off and let the system run...see if that makes a difference.
Check your valves to make sure you're not starving the pump.
Debris in your impeller.

mas985
07-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Lower PSI usually means a suction side restriction or problem. Do you see air in the pump basket? If so, check the skimmer basket(s) and pump basket for any blockage. Also check your valve settings if you have any.

It could also be that there is something on the pump impeller but to find out, you would need to disassemble the pump.

Also, because of the suction problem, the pump may be overheating and shutting down. If you fix your other problem, the pump may still be ok.

Poolsean
07-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Brilliant minds think alike!

mas985
07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Brilliant minds think alike!

Yea, I just have to work on typing faster ;).

pluck
07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
The hose comming out of the pool i.e. right below the skimmer basket has some small leaks.Despite the fact a leaky hose should be replaced anyway! Does anyone think replacing the leaky hose would remedy the low pressure problem???

duraleigh
07-16-2006, 07:17 AM
If a suction hose is leaking water, the pump is most likely off. Therefore, with the pump on, it is probably sucking air.....very possibly causing the low filter pressure.

A pressure drop like you're describing should result in noticeable decrease of flow into the pool. If your flow back into the pool seems normal, consider the guage as a source of the fault.

pluck
07-16-2006, 03:11 PM
The leaky hose was replaced. The pressure gauge still reads around 2 instead of 8.
There are 2 or 3 big air bubbles at the top of the strainer basket.
Worst of all, the motor ran for 2 minutes then shut off.
What should I try next???

medfordman
07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Lower PSI usually means a suction side restriction or problem. Do you see air in the pump basket? If so, check the skimmer basket(s) and pump basket for any blockage. Also check your valve settings if you have any.

It could also be that there is something on the pump impeller but to find out, you would need to disassemble the pump.

Also, because of the suction problem, the pump may be overheating and shutting down. If you fix your other problem, the pump may still be ok.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem. Turned on the pump yesterday and got NO reading on the pressure gauge. Skimmers and bottom drain seem to be working fine, though. Turned on my vacuum (polaris 360) and the pressure went up to about 12 (normally it is at 25 when vacuum is on). Normally when the skimmer and drain are on, the pressure is at 12. The pump sounds fine, and has not shut off. No air bubbles in the filter basket. Also, i released the pressure in the valve and ran the pump, and water came out of the release hose.

This is a bad question, but what do you mean by "suction side restriction?"

Are there any good tutorials on how to disassemble and unclog and impeller?

matt4x4
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Sounds to me like most of you have bad guages.
If there's a suction side blockage your cleaner would not work well since it needs good suction to work. also, you'd get little to no flow from the return.
When you power the pump off, does the pressure guage slam to teh stop pin or just stop around the pin - it should just rest lightly against it, if it hits it hard, you guage is out of whack.
Happens frequently with pretty much every guage out there.
Pluck - sounds like you also have motor or GFCI problems.

medfordman
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
When you power the pump off, does the pressure guage slam to teh stop pin or just stop around the pin - it should just rest lightly against it, if it hits it hard, you guage is out of whack.

I will check that out when I get home. thanks.

pluck
07-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I took the bolts off of the motor. The impellars were virtually pristing looking.
As far as the motor shutting off. I cant explain it other then here in pittsburgh the temp has been up in the 90's with high humidity.
Anyway, i did replace the pressure gauge and the gauge now reads around 12. The old gauge would read around 2.
Big diffrence.
The motor has been running fine and not shutting off.
I am happy
Hope it stays that way.
Thank you to everyone who posted to my situation.
I mean it. Thank you.
I no longer feel like such a pool newbie and hope I can offer good advise to others with pool problems.
God knows owners of pools need a forum, or at the least a support group.
Pluck