PDA

View Full Version : Help here are my test results

sisie5
07-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I have be fighting some sort of brown stuff in the botton of my vinyl pool avg.that is oval 18x33.I have vaccum my pool 4 times this week.and have added 6 - 3 quart of bleach.not sure what is going on ,but I do know I'm tired of vacuuming.Please help,Im at the point of giving up and taking the pool down.Here are my test results.i'm using the PS233 KIT. question do I need to add more bleach.Thanks for all the help,I love this site

FC-10
CC-1
TC-1
PH-7.5
ALK-170
CYA-30

mbar
07-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Since you still have combined chlorine, I would take the level up to 15 to shock. It sounds like you just didn't get it high enough to finish the job. You can put a skimmer sock on the filter, or use an old pair of tights or pantyhose, cut off the leg and put the foot in the skimmer, wrapping the leg around the top of the basket. Keep the filter running 24/7. Keep the chlorine at 15 until it holds overnight, and you have no combined chlorine.

sisie5
07-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Marie,what is the sock for?

The Raddish
07-16-2006, 12:19 PM
It is used to filter out smaller particles and keep them from entering into your filter. They are cheap and do a fantastic job of helping to keep your pool water crystal clear.

In your case, it would help to keep the nasty stuff from entering your sand filter and passing right through only to be blown back into your pool through the return. Not all of it would get back into your water of course, but using a skimmer sock would help to keep much of it from getting into your filter and thus help you to get your water cleaner faster.

Just make sure you empty the sock morning and evening to keep it clear. Also, make sure to keep your chlorine levels around 15ppm until that level holds over night, and your CC level = 0. These readings will likely occur at the same time.

Here is a link to some skimmer socks (http://www.intheswim.com/Commercial-Pool-Equipment/Pool-Filter-Accessories/Filter-Savers/) so you can see what they look like. As mbar mentioned you can also use an old pair of panty hose or tights to do the same thing, although I think that the commercial skimmer socks will do a better job in the long run. You can use one of th other things until your skimmer socks arrive though.

sisie5
07-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks Marie,now I understand

sisie5
07-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Here are my readings as of this morning should I add more bleach ?
water still isnt very clear.

FC-7.5
CC-1
TC-7.5
PH-7.8

duraleigh
07-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Keep the filter running 24/7. Keep the chlorine at 15 until it holds overnight, and you have no combined chlorine.
follow Marie's advice.

sisie5
07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
are you talking about the free chlorine to keep it at 15

mbar
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Keep your chlorine level at 15 - you don't have to take it to 16 - the chlorine at shock level for the amount of cya in your pool will kill off what it needs to and that will get rid of the combined chlorine. Once you get rid of the combined chlorine and your chlorine stays at 15 overnight, then you can let the level drift down to normal.

sisie5
07-20-2006, 12:41 AM
I not sure how to tell when you reach 15 for chlorine.my daily chlorine on goes to 5

mbar
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Here is a method that was used by one of the forum boards members:

Here's the Jen-You-Whine CarlD Shot Glass Method!;)

1) Get a shot glass (like you use to mix drinks).
2) Get a gallon of steam distilled water--most mass-market drug chains stock it, and many supermarkets.
3) Mix one shot glass full of pool water with one shot glass full of the distilled in a clean container (like a Pyrex measuring cup).
4) Fill your test cell to the line with the mixture. Add your drops and take the reading.
5) Whatever you read, double it. If it says "3ppm", you have 6ppm. If it reads "5ppm", you have 10ppm.
6) If it's STILL seems like the chorine's too high to read, go to step seven....
7) Mix 1 shot of pool water with TWO shots of distilled water, and re-run the test using that.
8) Now TRIPLE your reading--if it reads "3", it's 9. If it reads "5", it's 15ppm.
9) Going beyond two shots of distilled to 1 shot of pool water is possible (3 shots, quadruple your reading) but you lose accuracy fast. Still if it's the best way of reading chlorine, then you have to do it.

CAVEAT: ONLY use this method to measure chlorine levels. Do not use it for the other tests you run, and do not use it with the FAS-DPD powder test--that goes to 50 to 100ppm of Free Chlorine anyway.