PDA

View Full Version : Yellow slimey stuff?? Please help!!

Glenda
07-14-2006, 11:07 PM
This is our fourth year with Baquacil. Year one was perfect. Year two we had slight problems at the end of the season. Last year, year three, perfect water for a month then green water for two months. This year the water was perfect the first month. Now the water is slightly cloudy and there is a bright yellow to light yellow slimey substance in the filter (cartridge), housing, baskets, skimmer and on the hanging thermometers in the pool. I do not see any on the bottom or at the water line. Our dealer said switch from Baquacil to Bacquacil Ultra. So I put that in today. If it doesn't clear up soon I am converting to chlorine! In the meanwhile, what could the yellow slimey stuff be? Fungus? Algae? Baquagunk? What is Baquagunk anyway??

Also, what does BBB stand for? Please pardon a newbie's questions!

tenax
07-14-2006, 11:47 PM
bleach,borox and baking soda..using common household chemicals for the most part to maintain pool chlorine, ph and alkaline levels.

clayw1963
07-16-2006, 09:00 AM
My first year on Baquacil was great too. However, my problems started this year. Constant battle with Algae and the water was always cloudy.
I started my conversion to BBB Thursday afternoon around 3pm. Had to go to a wedding yesterday and when I got home last night the water was clearer than it has been in a long time. That yellow goo, sounds like Baquacil breaking down. That is what was all over my cartridge filter and also settled on the bottom of the pool.
I am very new to the BBB system, but I can already see the HUGE difference it has made in water in my pool.:)
Good Luck!

mbar
07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
It is very common that people don't have a problem with baquacil for the first three years. The fourth year, the water doesn't seem to clear. I read somewhere that the best way to keep a baqucil pool was the change the sand in the filter every year, and change out the water by partly draining and refilling a couple of times. So if you want to keep the baquacil, you may want to try both of these methods.