PDA

View Full Version : Help! VERY Newbie here!

moose
07-14-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a 22x38 inground pool (3' to 8') vinyl liner.

I've been working on this for a month and STILL have a green-ish, very cloudy pool. I've been cleaning the filter daily, and backwashing daily. This is my first summer doing maintenance due to divorice, so I'm way out of my league here!

I've shocked, put algaecide and clarifier in. I only have those test strips available. But they read Good chlorine levels, low pH, good alkanity and low CYA.

I've broomed and vacummed. (BTW, what is "vacuum to waste"?)

How do I figure out how many gallons my pool holds?
How do I figure out how much bleach?
Where do I download the bleach calculator?

HELP!!!!!!:eek:

debs_pool
07-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I have a 22x38 inground pool (3' to 8') vinyl liner.

I've been working on this for a month and STILL have a green-ish, very cloudy pool. I've been cleaning the filter daily, and backwashing daily. This is my first summer doing maintenance due to divorice, so I'm way out of my league here!

I've shocked, put algaecide and clarifier in. I only have those test strips available. But they read Good chlorine levels, low pH, good alkanity and low CYA.

I've broomed and vacummed. (BTW, what is "vacuum to waste"?)

How do I figure out how many gallons my pool holds?
How do I figure out how much bleach?
Where do I download the bleach calculator?

HELP!!!!!!:eek:

Sorry you feel like your out of your league -- but soon you'll be fine. The people on here are great. It's my first summer to be proactive about my own pool and not let the pool store tell me what to do!

I can't help with everything (learning myself) but here's a link to the bleach calculator for you -- with a thanks to brent.roberts for giving me this info in another thread:

#1 - Test Strips (I have figured out the people here call them "guess strips" and they are not accurate if you want the excellent help that can be provided here. Get a drop-based kit (lots of people use Ben's kit -- I've ordered it) but until then a kit from Wal-Mart will work so you can measure more accurately and then POST YOUR NUMBERS TO THE FORUM! Cl, pH, TA, CYA, etc.

#2 - (You'll need to figure out the gallonage of your pool first. I know I've seen this on a thread somewhere -- in fact I believe there's a calculation to figure volume on the bleach calculator program )

Here's where to get the bleachcal program that we've been talking about.

Note that this program is designed to give you the amounts of chemicals to add to achieve the desire CHANGE. Not the end level.

So if you want to increase the chlorine from 10 to 15ppm you put in 5. That's the increase you want.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emwsmith...achCalc262.exe

This great little program was created by a forum member. Micheal Smith.

#3 Vaccuum to Waste -- this bypasses filter for draining or lowering water level and for vacumming heavy debris directly to waste. You'll lose a lot of water with this and someone else can probably explain this better

I hope I helped -- I've been helped by so many here! I'm sure you'll get some more responses! Read all the "stickies" -- if you're like me you have to keep re-reading them! :D

So post some numbers!

CarlD
07-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Start with the stickies in this forum, in the Chlorine forum, the Chemistry and testing forum, and the pool chemicals and problems forum..

Simmons99
07-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Moose,

Once you have tested your water - please post your numbers

FC (free Chlorine)
TC (total Chlorine)
PH
ALK
CA (Calcium)
CYA (stablizer)

Also include ALL the chemicals you have been adding. We can then help you get to a clear blue pool :)

hooeld
07-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Another newbie to the site here.

Every link I find for the bleach Calculator is no good. I just found this great web site, and am having algea problems also. I am reading, and gathering info to post to see if I can get it under control..

TIA
Les

azimmer1
07-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Les
Here is my calculator. It is an excel file. When you open it, you will have to unzip it.
Keep in mind the numbers are for my pool.
so just change the volume to match your pool size and then the chlorine amounts will automatically adjust for your pool size. Also if you are using a lower conc of bleach, adjust that too.

Andy