PDA

View Full Version : Empty Pool ..

Phillbo
04-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Will it hurt an in ground plaster pool to sit empty for a couple weeks before it is jackhammerd out and replastered ? Also, how soon after the replaster does it need to be filled?

Arizona soil is very stable.

Tomcat
04-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I have no idea of the way things are in Arizona, but I wouldn't leave a pool empty like that where I live! Do you have hydrostatic relief valves installed? If so, open them! Check with your builder, or other local pool builders, and your plastering company for their recommendation.

I'm no expert at replastering, but I think they only remove a little of the old plaster around the tile and any fittings. They acid wash the rest to rough it up then replaster.

You start filling as soon as they finish (I'm sure they'd tell you that).

Good luck.

Phillbo
04-11-2006, 05:25 PM
No clue what hydrostatic valves are or what they do .. The soil around here is very hard and stable caliche (sp) .. Hard as a rock and i doubt much movement. I want to take advantage of the pool being empty to do a some maintenace like clean the tile and replace the light. I only have weekends to do that right now so it would need to be drained one weekend, worked on the next and then the plaster crew could come in to do their stuff..

Anyone familiar with Az pools?

Poconos
04-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Can't comment on leaving your pool empty for a couple weeks, no experience, but hydrostatic valves are one-way valves that let outside water into the pool when the surrounding ground water exceeds the level in the pool. Keeps the pool from popping out of the ground. Sounds like in Arizona this isn't a problem for you.
Al

Phillbo
04-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Sounds like in Arizona this isn't a problem for you.
Al

he he ... we have to soak the ground overnight to get a shovel in it ;)

InfinityPools
04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
To be safe, I am sure your pool has a plug. It is usally located in the main drain. depends on what year your pools was built but most of the time they are square topped. If your doing it yourself, take a 1/4 inch drill bit and punch a couple holes in the deep end and a couple mid way through.

This relieves any pressure you may have and prevents the shell from popping. I can't imangine you having a high water table but better safe than sorry. If you have a company doing the remodel they should no better.

good luck