PDA

View Full Version : Ok- kind of confusing to explain...

Madty
07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
My CL levels were 22.5 on Saturday. They have been dropping and were 9 yesterday. My CC has stayed at 0. Will my CC always be 0 at these high levels (CYA 28) I have a SWG which I have turned off. When will I need to turn the SWG back on to keep the chlorine working and when would I expect to see CC numbers? BTW- I had to get rid of some algea and cloudy water- you guys all helped- my water is crystal clear-thanks

Are ya confused enough??:confused: ;)

KurtV
07-13-2006, 10:03 AM
...Will my CC always be 0 at these high levels (CYA 28)...
Short answer is yes. That's one of the main reasons to shock (in addition to getting rid of algae as you did); to get rid of combined chlorine (chloramines).
Are ya confused enough??:confused: ;)
I'm always at least slightly confused even without your help

Best of luck.

aylad
07-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, the goal is to keep your CC at zero. And I would turn the SWG back on when you get to about 3 ppm.

Janet

Madty
07-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Hay Janet- I realize the goal is 0 CC. My question has to do when does a + CC occur? Below shock level only? Is it when the chlorine can't keep up?
Thanks

KurtV
07-13-2006, 11:36 PM
madty, Not sure exactly what you're asking but basically, you'll get combined chlorine when there's more work to do than the available free chlorine can handle; that can't happen at shock levels. Raising the chlorine to shock level will destroy the combined chlorine.

Donna's Poolboy
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey Madty-
I think you and I had the same question: "When do CC's form and what can you do to keep them from forming to begin with?"

CarlD talked a little about it here. (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=3227)

brent.roberts
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Trying to stay with the keep it simple idea.

If the FC levels are marginally OK before the pool party they won't be afterward.
If you leave it that way for a while, you'll get to see CC climb.

Also with marginal levels, if you pump goes off for a long time, the sun beats on one end of the pool then the FC levels drop. Then, even when the circulation is restored, there might not be enough FC to convert the CC and finish the process.

So the real levels are important but lack of circulation can sneak up on you and start the build up of CC.

If you know that loading in the pool is the trigger and you monitor how much junk goes in and guess about how many kids do not leave the pool when they should, you'll stay out of trouble by knowing you need to pour in an extra gallon or add a few hours if your running an SWG.,