PDA

View Full Version : swimming machines...

drogers
04-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm planning on building a pool next fall when the contractors get bored, and while I'd love a 75' lap extension to the thing, it just ain't gonna happen in my back yard. Soooo, I've been looking into some swimming machines, like the Swim Gym, the BaduStream/Jet, and the Endless Pools' Fastlane.

Anyone had any experience building these into a new pool? Any feel more 'real' or more difficult to swim in?

Oh yeah, I also can't seem to find any info on how much these things cost... Any guidelines?

Thanks!

Brock
04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I have the badu swim jet in our 13x26 indoor. It was the larger of the 2 at the time. It is plumbed with 6 inch lines to the 4 hp motor and back to the jet. It took me about a week or two to get used to swimming against the jet. At first I was worried it wasn't a "fast" enough flow, but as you get used to it it is more then enough. While just about any good swimmer could swim right up to it, to stay at 5 feet back for even 5 minutes is a chore. Sort of like sprinting vs jogging speeds.

The only real trick for me was to stay centered on the jet, fortunately I have a center tile line on the bottom that helps out a lot. I would really recommend it to anyone who wants to swim in place. I did try the foot straps and other non-pump methods and you just don’t get the same feeling.

drogers
04-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I figured the significant thing about one of these would be the lack of the turn-kick-drift, so basically no rest. Pretty much like learning to swim open water - constant. Any problems with the Badu?

I am trying to figure out if a jet or prop/fan design would be more 'natural' feeling...

Brock
04-17-2006, 01:15 PM
We did try both the jet and the fan types before we built ours. The prop we tried seemed slower, but wider while the jet was faster but you had to stay centered a bit more.

We haven’t had any problems with the jet, although the kids like to aim both jets to the far side and make a huge circular lazy river. It also comes in handy for adding chemicals or aerating the water after shocking.

RudyandRocky
06-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I have an "Endless Pool" from the original company in Pennsylvania. We installed it ourselves about 5 years ago. If you have any basic mechanical skills at all then you can install it yourself no problem. The "kit" that comes to your house is very complete and easy to figure out. Great instructions and videos on how to do everything. It is a breeze to take care of as long as you keep it covered (an option when you order the pool). We haven't had any problems but have had to replace the motor one time - per the recommended maintenance schedule because it is submersed in the water all the time. You can order gas or electrical heaters depending on what area of the country you live in.

I prefer swimming in the "Endless Pool" because the current generated is complete laminar flow - no bubbles. You can see perfectly with your face right up against the grating. It is easily adjustable to any flow rate and simple to move in and out of the flow if you need to rest.

Let me know what questions you have and I'll be happy to anwer them.

Mickey
Dallas, Texas