PDA

View Full Version : Calhypo long term storage

Tomcat
07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
I believe I remember a discussion that trichlor pucks are fine for long term storage (like over the winter), but how about calhypo? My bucket of trichlor pucks included many desicant packets, but there's nothing in the calhypo bucket to prevent moisture absorption. If I buy a big bucket now, will it be fine next year? It will be stored in a shed, so it will see freezing temps in the winter and temps around 100-110 deg F during the summer.

CToon
07-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I was curious myself because I still have some left over from back in the day when I used it . I went to Google and found this from a site (lifted it directly)

Calcium hypochlorite decomposition is self-sustaining. Getting rid of the source of heating will not stop the formation of fumes and the reaction will proceed until the material is no longer available.

Dichlor decomposition not only will generate enough heat to sustain a thermal decomposition but it may generate enough heat to ignite easily combustible material such as wood, paper or oily rags.

THinkin I dont need to keep this stuff around anymore

PoolDoc
07-14-2006, 07:40 AM
I deleted a post by PoolSean that went into the details of deliberately starting a fire or creating an explosion with pool chemicals.

Posts promoting pool chemical safety, and explaining what's needed to be safe are more than welcome. Posts explaining how to deliberately create dangerous pool chemical reactions are NOT welcome, NOT allowed (even in the China Shop) and will be deleted!

Ben Powell
"PoolDoc"

PoolDoc
07-14-2006, 07:43 AM
If I buy a big bucket now, will it be fine next year? It will be stored in a shed, so it will see freezing temps in the winter and temps around 100-110 deg F during the summer.

No, it won't be fine.

Cal hypo, as it ages, releases increasingly large amounts of chlorine and other noxious gases. Not only does it make the stuff hard to handle (as every one who's bought last season's cal hypo early this season knows) but the off-gassing can damage the equipment and wiring in the room in which it's stored.

Buying more chlorine than you need for the season is NOT a smart way to save money!

Ben

Poolsean
07-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Sorry Ben. That was wrong of me.

PoolDoc
07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks Sean!

I know about that stuff, and have done a number of not entirely safe experiments myself. But, I've always felt this was not the place for that information. Too many people, without the right equipment, space or experience will be tempted to try it. And, as I'm sure you know, sometimes very very dangerous reactions can result.

Ben

PS. I'd imagine that you might have a 'interesting reaction' if someone posted directions for collecting hydrogen off your unit's electrodes, and using the collected hydrogen to power a pool room 'night light', or to fill party balloons. In fact, I think I can imagine just how to do it . . . . ;)

Poolsean
07-14-2006, 09:14 PM
hhhmmmmmm...I think I did speak about that in the past here, and got away with it...gulp..

CarlD
07-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Party balloons! GREAT!!!!:D

waste
07-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I've tried to include, where relevent, the fact that cl will gas-off and potentially corrode any metals (pump shafts, wiring, etc) stored in the same area ... any chance of a 'sticky' in the 'chlorine' section to let everyone know the dangers?

Respectfully, Ted

halds
07-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for this thread!

This info is extremely important.