PDA

View Full Version : CYA ? and pic of finished product

denanbob
07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi all! We bought our pool used, and it came with an inline chlorinator which I know is not recommended by most on this site. I had already, however, bought a nice big pail of 1" pucks for $35. So since my pool is newly filled, I decided to use the pucks until I got a good CYA measurement and then switch to the BBB method. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an accurate CYA reading? I'm actually wondering if my chlorinator is even working because I have it set on 2 which is what the instructions recommended, but unless I shock every week, the level goes down to almost nothing. The thing is still full of pucks though. I've been using this for almost 2 weeks. Should I test the CYA now? I only have 1 test left so I'm trying not to waste it.

Here is a pic of the finished product. I'm sure you all want to see that after my abundance of questions and dire pleas for help, we have a usable swimming pool. I never thought the day would come. DENNIS - we did it!!! LOL! We still have to get the indoor/outdoor carpet down and stain the railing, but you'll get the idea:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/denanbob/IMG_1035Small.jpg

hrsdennis
07-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Way to cool, it looks great. I am a father of four daughters and it's these photos of kids having fun that keeps me here helping when I can.

Thanks for the photo, means a lot.

Dennis

medvampire
07-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Great looking pool.
It can take up to a week for the CYA to desolove. I would wait for a week to 10 days.
Steve

CarlD
07-13-2006, 07:19 AM
I would just watch it (CYA) every week and when it's close to your target, stop using the pucks. People forget that when the pucks dissolve the CYA gets into the water faster than when they use the crystal CYA that has to dissolve. So if your target is a CYA of 30 to 50, when CYA reaches 30, turn off the chlorinator and switch to bleach.

It can really be that easy.

BTW, Nice job on the pool/deck combo--it just makes you want to jump right in!

matt4x4
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Excellent work!
2 on the chlorinator may be a littel low, if your Chlorine reading keeps dropping then I would recommend slowly raising the input until you are at a point where your Chlorine reads the same. However, that said, low CYA will let your chlorine burn off faster.
I would get the CYA up to the right level, then just add bleach in the right amounts (you'll figure that one out easily enough) as you need to. Rememeber that the hotter it gets, the more frequently you will need to add bleach, don't put this task off til tomorrow, it will bite you you know where.

MaryLee
07-13-2006, 08:45 AM
You already gotten your answers, but I just want to say your pool and deck look beautiful!! Great job!!