PDA

View Full Version : Questions about leveling

Trimom
07-12-2006, 10:00 PM
We are installing a 21x41x52 oval - which I am sure I will no longer regret when I actually get the thing up :)

Anyway, we are at the leveling stage. We have removed the sod and are at "it looks pretty level to me", meaning everything is within 2 - 3 inches of being level. My question is how do we get to "NASA space floor level". Please be more specific than you think is required. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around we used a 2x4 and a shovel.

Thanks so much - I have already learned sooooo much from this site!

hrsdennis
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi, Do yourself and your pool a big favor and rent a transit or laser level for a few days.

Go over that pool area every two to three foot with that transit stick and make the area level. I have a darn good eye for level so I will just check both ends, two places on each side and three places down the center. If they are well within an inch I will proceed with the install.

Don't take the transit back yet. When you establish the level you will set the pool at you will use that number for the front and back of each side brace and each footplate around the ends. They all need to read the same number on a transit stick. This is to big of pool and to much water to do it any other way.

This can be a hard pool to install but if you will go so far as to really level the ground I am sure we can help you with the rest of the install.

Later, Dennis

matt4x4
07-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Another method to get things perfectly level is a water level, you can't get much more accurate and they arer really easy to use, all you need is a good length of clear flexible tubing (Surgical tubinbg works nice), a large bucket or reservoir and a stake to fasten the tube to.

In your case, you will need about 30 feet of tubing, just make sure you keep pretty much the same amount of excess on stake, if you start to shorten your tube dramatically, it will push the water back to the bucket raising the level in the bucket. The extra length of tube can be snaked all over the area as long as it's between the bucket and stake it really doesn't matter how many feet run all over the place, it will always find it's own level unless you raise it above the water level.
If that just confused you, read the links below - they explain it well.

I believe you can buy then as well, but they're really cheap to make!

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/hvt045.asp

ShelleyAnn
07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Trimom -

This is absolutely the most difficult part of your install. I feel your pain, we did it in April. We had our neighbor help us. He works for the local municipal water company and has been laying pipe for 14 years. Knows about level, knows about digging. First he used a lazer level and shovel to dig the long way. Then he used the 3 point/3 circle technique described in our installation manual which you can find here: http://www.cantar.com/product.asp?ProdID=66 . He started, ended, and referred often to his transit. It is dead on level in all directions and I wouldn't toy with anything less.

Shelley

jenpen400
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
We used a water level on our 24ft pool. It is a simple accurate low tech way to make things very level. BTW we also used the level to install the drain field for our septic and we installed a 30 x 40 metal building, Husband hand dug the foundation framed it and set all the anchor bolts. All we used was a tape measure string and a water level it came out perfect!

matt4x4
07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
You really can't get anymore accurate that a water level, yes it's basic, but it's correct - always! A transum can still be out of whack - lots of user error can happen unless you know how to use one well.

Trimom
07-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for everyone's help with the leveling info.

Here is the update: I QUIT!!!

We are in Middle Tennessee and I have hard packed red clay. After spending 7 hours and getting about 3 sq ft. leveled, I relized we could not do this part ourselves. A guy with a skid steerer will be here in the morning. He is a friend of a friend, has done several pool installs and is giving us a REALLY good rate.

I'm looking forward to being done with dirt.

hrsdennis
07-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Sounds like way to much fun Trimom, hope things go better with the heavy machinery. :)

So right Matt, nothing is more accurate than water itself. I have seen one of those tubes used once but never could really get a hold of the idea for my purpose. Something about teaching an old dog new tricks. :)

Later, Dennis

matt4x4
07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Trimom - had you mentioned clay I would have told you to throw in the towel, I also got a skidsteer in to level mine - same reason, I'd still be at it if I didn't 3 yrs later!

CarlD
07-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Sometimes, it's just worth it to out-source the work.